Deaneries/Parishes

No.

 PARISH

NAME

POSITION

HO DEANERY

1

Ho Bankoe/Sacred Heart Cathedral

Matthew Kudzo Afenyo

Cathedral Administrator

2

David D.Y Zatey

Assist. Parish Priest

3

Ho Dome: St Cecilia 

Felix Atepor

 

4

Anthony Mawuli Ahiabor 

Assist. Parish Priest

5

Rev Fr Fidelis Kumado 

 Priest in Residence 

6

Ho SSNIT Flat: Holy Spirit

William Selorm Horlu

 

7

Ho Mawuli Estate: Christ The King

Christian Ewoenam Klu, Cssr

Priest-In-Charge

8

Mark Torwoe, Cssr

Assist. Parish Priest

9

Ho Kpevele: St. Francis Of Assisi

Benjamin Doe Gawu

Priest-In-Charge

10

Samuel Eco Edem Kornu 

Associate Priest

11

Shia: Immaculate Conception

Raphael Tawiah

 priest in charge 

12

James Leonard Kwame Selasie Obiri-Pongo

 

Assist. Parish Priest

 

13

Sokode Gbogame: St. Anthony

Anthony Akpalu 

Parish Priest 

14

Kpetoe: St Stephen

Moses Ameveanku

Priest-In-Charge

15

Samuel Sebastian Sekpe

Assist. Priest-In-Charge

16

Frank Paul Kumah Gbenya

Assist. Parish Priest

17

Kpedze: St Anthony

Theodore Hevi 

 Parish Priest 

18

Courage Afu

Assist. Parish Priest

19

Frankadua: St Theresa

Lawrence Kponor SVD

 Priest in Charge 

20

Taviefe Aviefe: St Anthony Rectorate

Sebastian Eli Tsedzah

Priest-In-Charge

21

Tsito: St Michael Rectorate

Prosper Kwaku

Priest-In-Charge

KPANDO DEANERY

22

Kpando:  Immaculate Conception

Clemence Ashiara 

Priest In Charge

23

Carl Kwao-Agboado

Assist. Priest In Charge

24

Agala Francis 

Assist. Priest In Charge

25

Vakpo: St. Peter

Francis Mensah-Agbaku

Priest In Charge

26

Francis Kofi Akoto

Assist. Priest In Charge

27

Have: Holy Cross

Jesse Amedzi 

Parish Priest 

28     Dzemeni: St. Francis Of Assisi

John Bosco Kumi

Priest In Charge

29

Anfoega: Ss. Peter And Paul

Apolloniaris Anyomi

Parish Priest

30

Sebastian Agyeman Ametefe

Assist. Parish Priest

31

Michael Akai 

Assist. Parish Priest

32

Sovie: St. Benedict

Raphael Nutsugah

Priest In Charge

33

Alavanyo: St Augustine

Michael Joy Akposu

Parish Priest

34

Kpando Agbenoxoe: Our Lady Of Lourdes

Anthony Azah

Rector And Parish Priest

HOHOE DEANERY

35

Hohoe: St Augustine

Isaac Kodzo Benuyenah

Parish Priest

36

Christopher Latsebi 

Assist Parish Priest

37

Richard Basuwa Xatse 

Assist Parish Priest 

38

Gbi Atabu: St. Aloysius

Evaristus Tsevi

Priest In Charge

39

Hohoe: Holy Rosary

Kenneth Kofi Debre

Priest In Charge

40

Hohoe: Holy Trinity

Lawrence Akli

Priest In Charge

41

Liati: St Joseph

Theophilus Sena Ameka 

Parish Priest

42

Dennis Kumah Asare

Assist Parish Priest

43

Ve-Golokwati: Queen Of Peace

Valerius Kosikojo, Cssp

Parish Priest

44

Lolobi: St Michael

Peter Amevor

Priest In Charge

45

Likpe Mate: St Joseph

Ephraim Pesse 

Priest In Charge

46

Likpe Abrani: St Mary

Eric Kplorla Dagbui 

Priest in charge 

47

Fodome: Sacred Heart

Patrick Delali Attah

Parish Priest

48

Edbert Doh 

Assist Parish Priest

HOSPITAL CHAPLAIN

49

Kpando: Margret Marquart Catholic Hospital

Emmanuel Pani

Chaplain

50

Anfoega: Anfoega Catholic Hospital

Emmanuel Dotse Komla

Chaplain

DIOCESAN PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS

51

Have: Rijnbeek Catholic Complex

Gabriel Happy Dela Akabo

Headmaster

52

Hohoe: St Agatha’s Commercial College And SHS

Walter Agbetoh

Principal

53

Kenneth Debre

Chaplain

DIOCESAN INSTITUTIONS

54

Bishop Herman College

Nicholas Panku

Chaplain And Teacher

55

Patrick Afenyo

Teacher

56

Peter Kosi Akabua

Teacher

57

OLA Senior High School 

Alex Akpah

Chaplain And Teacher

58

Fidelis Kumado

Teacher

59

St. Mary’s Seminary SHS

Felix Akpa 

Headmaster

60

Paul Afetor

Rector And Teacher

61

John Winfred Bosso

Chaplain And Teacher

62

Vincent Azila Avudzivi

Teacher

63

CYO Technical/Vocational Institution

Jeremiah Ankutsitsia

Principal

64

Raphael Nutsugah 

Chaplain And Teacher

65

St. Daniel Comboni Technical Vocational Institute – Liati

Denis Kumah Asare

Chaplain And Teacher

66

St. Francis’ College

Paschal Afesi 

Chaplain And Lecturer

67

St. Teresa’s College

Bernard Toffah

Chaplain And Lecturer

NON-CATHOLIC INSTITUTION

68

Awudome Senior High

Prosper Kwaku

Chaplain And Teacher

69

Agotime-Kpetoe

Moses Ameveanku

Teacher

70

Ho Non-Catholic 2nd Cycle Schools, Mawuko And Mawuli SHS

Fidelis Kumado

Chaplain

71

Tongor-Tsanakpe Tech. SHS.

Anthony Godslove Agbeko-Yevu

Teacher

72

Likpe Sec/Tech

Eric Koku Agbeko Mawusi

Teacher

73

Ho Technical University

Sylvester Agbezuge

Chaplain And Lecturer

74

Ho College Of Nursing

Sylvester Agbezuge

Chaplain

75

UHAS

John Peter Agage

Acting Chaplain

 

OTHER PRIESTS

76

Madona House: Ho Dome

Samuel Bobodu Madona House/Akoefe Tokor)

 

77

Jacob Hevi

 

78

Theodore Gakpe-Ntsri

 

79

Francis Agboyao Homatekpor

 

80

 

 

81

St. John Vianney

Hillary Senoo

 

82

Wynnard Amewowo

 

83

Sylvester Kwaku Mawusi

 

84

Evaristus Kodzo Amegadzi

 

85

Bishop Holland Memorial Pastoral And Formation Centre-Sokode

 

 

86

Anthony Kofi Dotsey

 

87

Simon Peter Esiawonam Dagadu

 

88

Sokode Etoe

Richard Delali Affrim

 

89

Tafi Atome

John Adanfo

 

90

Foyer De Charite, Alavanyo Abehenease

Gregory Daniels-Akata

Foyer Father/Director

91

Redemptorist Postulancy

(SCALA HOUSE)

Pascal Tiendrebeogo, Css.R.

Postulant Director

92

 

 

93

Bame

Edmund Kizito Xordzise Pesse-Kuma

 

94

Most Rev Francis A.K Lodonu

 

95

Priest/Religious Abroad

Fr. Moses M. Apreku- Studies USA

 

96

Anthony Delali Azah – Studies Rome, Italy

 

97

Fr. Raphael A. Benuyenah-Studies (Israel)

 

Justice Mawusi USA

 

98

Priests/Religious On Ecclesiastical Assignment

Anthony Kornu (Francistown/ Botswana)

 

99

Paul H. Foster Olator (Gaborone-Botswana

 

100

Richard Agnes Teku (Botswana)

 

101

Paulina Akpapupu (Diocese Of St. Boniface-Canada)

 

102

Fr. Dieu-Donne Kofi Davor (NCS, Accra)

 

103

Emmanuel Richard Mawusi (St. Peters Regional Seminary)

 

104

Fr. John Doe Dormah, (St. Paul’s Seminary, Accra)

 

105

 

 

106

Casmir Adjoe (Central University College, Accra)

 

107

Michael Perry Okyerefo (University Of Ghana)

 

108

Cletus Frank Egbi (USA)

 

109

Francis P. Azah (USA)

 

110

Ted Kofitse (USA)

 

111

Patrick Allala (USA)

 

112

Edmund Akordor (USA)

 

113

Apollinaris Anyomi

 

 

BRIEF HISTORY OF SOVIE CATHOLIC CHURCH

 

History has it that in July 1905, the white SVD Fathers establishment the Catholic Church at Sovie through the initiative of Rev. Anthony Witte a German missionary.

Mr. Avedor who hails from Anfoega Dzana was   the first teacher catechist also who brought Roman Catholic Education to Sovie. The church was welcomed by the paramount chief of Sovie Togbega Luwui and the Church got started from his house.

The white SVD priest who comes from Kpando Aloyi to celebrate mass for the people was nick name Fr. Kpetoge because of his long beard. Anku  Wuabu was appointed the first leader of the church. When the member of the convert increased it became necessary that they relocated from Togbe Luwui's house to a new place. The people agreed to put up a chapel. The brain behind this suggestion were Fofo Kumah, Ludwig Kofi, Baba, Dzekabo, Atakumah, Loglo, Glimeti and  Prika. In 1936, A bigger chapel was put up by the people. The people worked tirelessly to put up a historic chapel in which they worshipped and are still worshipping up to date. The building was completed within six months. This Monumental chapel is very unique in the sense that stones were beautifully arranged as blocks for it walls.  The first elected head Christian was Togbe Agbo. He was assisted by Dodo, Asiantide Kodzo and Dzoti Atta.

 Togbe Agbo was succeeded by Kpetor Doe.  The third Head-Christian was Paul Amy in 1926, the following people were elected as Head-Christians to represent the various clans. They were:

1: Alphonse Kofi: Deme Reps.

2: Augustine Atta Dzisi: Yorwu  Reps.

3: Nicholas Asiantide : Konda Reps.

 

NATURE CATECHISTS

1: Thadoes Vormekpenya was the first native catechist

2: The second catechist was Lucas Tuabu (aka march -on).

3: Lucas Gembi (aka Ganyo) was the third catechist

4: After the death of Lucas Gembi, Aloysius  Nyansem (aka Komlavi) became the next catechist.

The maiden name of the church was ST.Peter And Paul Catholic Church.  It was the biggest out station of the St. Peter and Paul Parish Anfoega.

In 2009 the name was changed to St. Benedict Catholic Church.

The demand for a parish started as far back in 1910. However, it was not until 2013 when the Church was curved out of Anfoega Parish by the Diocesan Bishop Rt. Rev. Francis Anani Lodonu to be known as St. Benedict Parish.

 

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SOVIE TODAY

Catholics formed about 80% of the population of Sovie. In the Church women constitute the majority of the congregation followed by children, the youth and men respectively. The growth of the church has led to the emergence of a lot of groups, Societies, organizations and confraternities. Among them are three choirs named St Cecilia, All Saints and Ss Peter And Paul Choirs.

In the Course of years the church has produced (9) nine priest,  a Rev.Brother and one Rev.Sister.

 

These Are

Rev. Fr. Paul Simpiney

Rev. Fr. Agbekudzi

Rev. Fr. Felix Atepor

Rev.Fr.  Benedict Adzogba

Rev.Fr. Peter Akaboa

Rev. Fr. Happy Gabriel Akabo

Rev.Fr. Coleman Getor

Rev. Fr. Simpiney.

 Rev. Fr. Akoto Francis

Rev. Fr. Pessey Ephraim

Brother Peter Edge

 

 

OUR LADY QUEEN OF PEACE PARISH VE - GOLOKUATI                                          

LOCATION OF THE PARISH

OUR LADY QUEEN OF PEACE PARISH Ve-Golokuati, is located in Afadjato South District of the Volta Region. It is bordered to the North by Kpando municipality and in the East it is bordered by the Republic of Togo West is bordered by south Dayi.

Queen of Peace Parish Ve-Golokuati was carved out of St Joseph Paris, Liati on the 1st day of October 1995 and was officially inaugurated on the 28th December 1996 by Most Rev Francis Kofi Anani Lodonu the then Bishop of the Diocese.

THE SPIRITANS

In the year 2005, opening up the Diocese for evangelization and development, The Congregation of the Holy Spirit ( Spiritans) Religious and Missionaries were invited to the Diocese and handed the Parish for its spiritual, religious and social activities to start.  The Parish is also located in the district capital of the Afadjato South district which was created in the year 2012. The Parish currently has twenty one Outstations with distances from the main station, Ve-Golokuati, ranging from 10km to 30km on a high mountain with a bad road.

DEMOGRAPHY AND SOCIO-CULTURAL CHARACTERISTICS

According to the 2010 provisional Population and Housing Census the population of the area covered by the Parish is estimated to be Ninety five thousand hundred and thirty( 95,030) out of which the female population is forty eight thousand, seven hundred and fifty eight(48,758) ratio 51.3% and male population forty six thousand two hundred and seventy two(46,272) 48%. The Parish which covers a land area of 553.0km.sq is mainly inhabited by Ewe speaking people who formed about 90% of the total population with other different ethnic groups like the Nyangbos, the Tafis, the Logbas and the Ve people. The district and for that matter the Parish has known absolute peace for a long time.

 

ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS OF THE PARISH

Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish Ve-Golokuati, like the rest of the parishes in the Diocese is underdeveloped. There are no factories and industries. Subsistence agriculture (i.e. crop and livestock) is the mainstay of the inhabitants. Women are also engaged in other small scale ventures like: making of pots, collection and selling of fuel wood, selling of palm wine (local drink prepared from palm tree), and petty trading like buying and selling.

Majority of the inhabitants (over 85%) have fallen prey to disadvantages of life also due to high illiteracy rate. As such, commercial farming is almost non-existent.  The very few wealthy ones who could do commercial farming are also saddled with the infertility nature of the soil due to over cultivation, overgrazing by animals, and over exploitation for fuel wood without replacement, and erratic rainfall pattern.

The major access to land is inheritance, although renting, leasing and share cropping also require land. Women constitute about 57% of the population in the Parish and many of are engaged in petty trading and artisanal business such as tailoring, baking, only to mention but few. Children constitute 45% of the catholic population. The teening youth (0-59) constitutes about 44.8% while about 10% comprises adults aged over 60 years.

 

Alternative income generating activities could be a broad path to economic growth, but here again; limited access to credit facilities offers no incentives. The bad roads network in the district as well as the Parish also compound the situation as many communities are inaccessible most of the time especially during the rainy season. This is a big hindrance to the economy, education and evangelization.

RELIGIONS IN THE PARISH

Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish Ve-Golokuati, just like the rest of the Parishes of Ho Diocese, there are three main religions with the majority being African Traditional Religion, followed by Christianity and Islam. Among the Christian denominations are Evangelical Presbyterian Church of Ghana the Catholics, Church of Pentecost, Assemblies of God and other few new churches who are also the minority though evangelization is still at the very primary stage. The following figures illustrate the Christian influence (estimates):

(1)        Catholics                                       3,500    

(2)        Other Christians                            4,856                                  

(3)        Muslims                  .                       500        

(4)        Traditional worshippers                  5,000                 

These figures indicate that Queen of Peace Parish is an area of Primary Evangelization. The number of baptized Catholics is approaching four thousand out of which some have become lapsed members. There are people baptized in almost of all the stations. In the villages around the Parish there is much goodwill and interest in the Catholic faith. It is here that there are many catechumens who, are under tuition to receive the Sacraments.

 

PASTORAL ACTIVITIES

There is the celebration of the Holy Eucharist every day except Mondays, at the parish Center there is the celebration, veneration of the Blessed Sacrament on Thursdays before first Fridays. There is also visitation of the sick Wednesdays after first Friday.

There is also mass celebrated once a week in the communities in the town which draws both Catholics and non-Catholics together. There at least in every month we try to cover the outstations with masses, visiting the sick. Currently in Charge of the Parish are Rev. Fr. Kosikojo C.S.Sp- and Rev. Fr. John Mammah C.S.Sp

 

 

HISTORY OF ST. ANTHONY PARISH – KPEDZE

The root of the Roman Catholic Church in Kpedze could be traced from Kpalime, Togo. Mr. Jacob Dzato, a native of Alavanyo Deme, a German Language Teacher and a Catechist began the  Church in Kpedze in the year 1928 with his family. Mr. Jacob Dzato and his family were migrants from Kpalime, Togo who sojourned in Kpedze in search of greener pasture. 

The community of Catholics grew very rapidly as many Togolese (who were already Catholics) migrated to Kpedze with the main intention of engaging in cocoa farming and general merchandise. As a result of the increasing numbers which Mr. Jacob Dzato’s residence could no longer hold, it became necessary to search for a spacious accommodation for worship. He then contacted a pagan called Atiayao of Sreme in Kpedze for a permanent place for worship. Atiayao readily provided a piece of land at Sreme, Kpedze to them and a structure was raised with laterite and roofed with thatch to serve as the chapel.

In about 1940, Mr.Atiayao's children came home from Benin as Apostolic church members and became hostile to the church and therefore sacked them from the land offered by their father. The treatment from the children became very unbearable and therefore became imperative to vacate the land. Identifiable families in the church in these difficult moments harsh hostilities were the families of Kpogo, Dorkunor and Ahiable. 

They quickly contacted Togbega Atsridom (IV) of Kpedze Traditional Area for land and he also contacted Fu Gonyoe, the Head of the families of Gonyoe, Debra-Gakpo, Atsrim and Dzasani to give the church land.  The families did not hesitated and quickly donated parcels of land cumulating nine acres near Lowcost at Awlime, Kpedze to the Church. This location has become the site for the church and the schools till date. Before the relocation of the church later in early part of 1950, the Catholic School was already in session so the classrooms for the primary section which was built in 1942 and the middle school which was also built in 1948 doubled as the chapel until late 1960 when the present day chapel was built. Around this same time, priests who visited the church lodged in a single room with a porch which was built at the   Middle school compound.

Priest who visited the church were Rev. Frs. Vandiech, Bourn, Killian Kpatakpa, Paul Yao, Mathias Kumesi, Philip Bonto, Francis Lodonu,  Ephraim Mensah, Gabriel Mante, Anthony Hwanope, Mathias Ganyo, Foli, Frank Cletus Egbi and Patrick Sachie Asamoah.

Before the inception of  Kpedze R.C.Church, Anfoeta and Honuta R.C. Churches were in existence in 1911and 1912 respectively and they were all outstations of the Sacred Heart Parish Ho Bankoe.

The construction of the present Chapel began around 1940 and was partially completed in 1967. Similarly, in later part of 1920, other catholic churches within the Parish began to spring up. This include  Dodome, Kpoeta Ashanti, Kpoeta Achem, Kpale, Saviefe Agorkpo, Anfoeta Tsebi, Hlefi, Vane, Dzolo Gbogame, Bame and Biakpa. Others that were birthed later part of 1940 included Anfoeta Gbogame, Honluta, Gbadzeme, Dzogbefem, Fume,Amedzofe and Dzolokpuita, adding up to the list of outstations of Sacred Heart Parish, Ho until it attained a Parish status in 15th May, 1986 and named after St. Anthony of Padua as the Patron Saint.

In 1986 Bishop Francis A.K.Lodonu appointed Rev.Fr.Evaristus Amegadzie to take charge of parish as the first Parish Priest and Rev.Fr.Sylvester Mawusi who was then the Cathedral Administrator of the Sacred Heart Parish, Ho Bankoe inducted him into office on 16th April 1986. The parish has eighteen outstations currently.

It is located in one administrative district which is Ho West District Assembly. It shares borders

in the  East with Woame Parish in the Republic of Togo, South east by Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish -  Shia,  Southwest by the St. Anthony Parish- Tviefe Aviefe, in the north east by the Queen of Peace Parish- Golokwati and in the north west by Dzemeni Parish. It covers a land area of 721 km2.

Some Catechists who worked for the Church were Messers Jacob Dzator, Dorkunor, Christian Hiabuade,Peter Ledi, Peter G.M.D Dade, Stephen Dade, Raphael Mevemo, Mad. Euphemia Gbordzoe, (S.K. Afun and Edmund Akortia who are still working presently).

Head Christians who have served over the period include Messers Alphonse Azah, Martin Azumah, Simon Rolland Ahiamenyo, Emmanuel Messiobe, Daniel Dunu, Gabriel Gayikpa (current).

Since attaining the status a Parish, it has on the records Rev.Frs . Evaristus Amegadzie, Leonard Hope Hormeku, Joseph Tebsis Nkrumah, Clemence Ashara, Emmanuel Pani, Emmanuel Komla, Titus Sraha, John Bosco Kumi and Theophilius Sena Ameka as Parish Priests

Identifiable individuals who worked tirelessly for the attainment of the Parish status were Messers Simon Rolland Ahiamenyo-  Edmund Akortia, Rashidi Tumawu, Paul Yao Amegadzie- Kpedze. Joseph 

Torwoe- Dodome, Athanasius Horlu-Anfoeta-Tsebi,Donatus Gbortsu-Hlefi, Lawrence Bansah-Biakpa, Kudu-Vane, Simon Agbagba and Charles Akutsah of Aflakpe.

The parish has a population of 4923. The societies in the parish are Charismatic Renewal, Christian youth Organisation (C.Y.O),  Catholic Women Association (C.W.A), Catholic Men Association (CAMA), Sacred Heart, St. Anthony Guild, Knights of the Altar, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Sacred Heart of Jesus, COSRA and Choirs across the parish. 

Many prominent individuals have been produced by the two junior high schools and six primary Schools dotted across the parish. In addition, the Parish has one clinic located at Saviefe Agorkpo and it has been serving communities all over the parish and beyond.  

 

SUMMARY OF FACTS ABOUT ST. ANTHONY PARISH – KPEDZE

 

  • It attained Parish status on 15th April, 1986

 

#

Name of Outstation

Town

Date of Establishm-ent

Land Size

Distance from Parish Centre

Institutions

1

St. Anthony

Kpedze

1928

 

9 Acres

Not Registered 

 

   --

Kindergarten

Primary Sch.

J.H.S

2

Our Lady of Holy Rosary

Amedzofe

May, 1984

1 AcreNot Registered

46 km

Nil

3

St. Michael

Dodome

July, 1929

1 Acres

Not Registered

4 Km

Kindergarten

Primary Sch.

4

St. Anthony

Dzolo

1937

1 Acre

Not Registered

 Km

Primary Sch.

5

Sacred Heart

Dzolokpuita

1956

1 Acre

Not Registered

2 Km

NIL

6

St. Joseph

Saviefe Agorkpo

May, 1926

4 Acres

Not registered

9 Km

St. Francis Clinic

7

St. Joseph

Abfoeta Tsebi

1923

2 Acres

Not Registered

16 Km

Nil

8

St. Michael

Anfoeta Gbogame

1982

 Acre

Not registered

17 km

Nil

9

Immaculate Heart of Mary

Fume

2008

 Acre

Not registered

14 km

Nil

10

St. Anthony

Hlefi

1928

3 Acres

Not registered

18 km

Kindergarten

Primary Sch.

11

St. Francis of Assisi

Aflakpe

1960

 

 

 

12

St. Joseph

Biakpa

 

 

 

KG

Primary 1-5

13

Sacred Heart

Dzogbefeme

 

 

 

 

14

St. Michael

Gbadzeme

 

 

 

 

15

Holy Trinity

Honluta

1912

 

 

 

16

St. Michael

Kpoeta Achem

1982

 

 

 

17

St. Theresa of Child Jesus

Kpoeta Ashanti

29/09/1930

4 Acres

Not Registered

6.5km

Kindergarten

Primary Sch.

J.H.S

18

St. Anthony

Vane

1924

3 Acres

Not Registered

14 km

Crèche

19

 

Kpale

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPT CATHOLIC CHURCH, KPANDO

 

The Catholic Church was established in Kpando in 1900 by the Society of the Divine Word Fathers. They were received by Mr. Avornyotse. With him and others, they helped the Priest in expanding the Church across the surrounding towns and villages. The first outstation created among the Kpando towns was Kpando Dzogbesianti (Dzoanti) in 1903.

 

In 1904, Rev. Anthony Witter was sent from Lome, Togo to be the first resident Priest in Kpando. He opened Baptism Register.

 

In 1912, convent of sisters was established in Kpando by the end of 1917, the convent at Kpando was closed and the German Fathers moved from Kpando to Bla in Hohoe.

 In 1926, a mission seminary was opened in Kpando but it was short-lived.

In 1935, work started on the construction of the Immaculate Conception Church building at Kpando Tsakpe. The founding fathers were enthused and had demonstrated communal spirit in building the chapel. The chapel was built from cracked rocks.

 As the church grows, the need for native priests was felt. Prayers upon prayers to the living God, they were answered in 1942, where Rev. Fr. Killian Kpatakpa and Paul Yao Amewonyure were ordained as the first native Priest from Kpando. The first native Rev. Sister was Catherine Elorm Anani ordained in 1977. This has paved way for many other natives to respond to the call into the holy orders.

 In 1995, most Rev. Anthony Kwame Adanuty was ordained as the first native Bishop from Kpando. Between 1979 and 1981, the Church was faced with some cries. However, His Grace Kodwo Amissah, the Arch-Bishop of Cape Coast, together with other Bishops of Ghana, came to Kpando Immaculate Conception Church to bring finality to the matter in 1982.

 Consequently, in 1983, Rev. Frs. John Adanfo and Edward Ametefe were sent to Kpando Immaculate Conception Parish as Parish Priests which marked the new beginning of the Church in Kpando.

 In the 2000, the Immaculate Conception Church celebrated it hundredth year.

 The Immaculate Conception Church Building was rededicated by Most Rev. Emmanuel Kofi Fianu (S V D) in the year 2017 when Rev. Fr. Peter Justice Mawusi was the Parish Priest.

 Currently the Parish has (12) twelve outstations. Between 1904 and 2019, the baptismal record shows that about 82,000 persons were baptized to become members of the Church. Rev, Clemence Ashiara is the current Parish Priest and Carl Kwao Agboado as his Associate Priest.    

 

 

HOLY CROSS CATHOLIC PARISH, HAVE-ETOE

  1. O. Box 8, Have Etoe (VR). GPS: VF-2111-7683

Facebook:       www.facebook.com/HolyCrossRC/

Email:             This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Whatsapp:       +233 20026 9701

Pastor:           Rev Fr Dr Paul A. Agbodza        

(linked to http://umatedu.academia.edu/PaulAAgbodza )     

 

SITZ-IM-LEBEN

Have Traditional area is located in the western valley of the Akwapim-Togo mountain range, locally called “Weto” in the Afadzato South District of the Volta Region, on the Kpando-Ho main road. Its immediate neighbors are: Agate to the South, Nyangbo to the North, Kpando to the West and the mountain range; “Weto” to the East. Have is 53km from Ho, 31km from Kpando, 48km from Hohoe, and 172km from Accra.

Have is an averagely populated community made up of two towns: Gborxome being the oldest Town and the seat of the paramount chief and Have-Etoe. The population according to the 2010 census is 6,800. In Have, 30% of its population are baptized Catholics. Have is an Evangelical Presbyterian dominated community. The following social amenities are available: electricity supply; A gravity-fed potable water supply; a health center; a Catholic Primary and Junior High schools, EP Primary and Junior High Schools; three Local Authority Primary and Junior High Schools; three private schools including Rijnbeek Catholic School complex; and Have Technical Institute.

Have is a homogenous Ewe community comprising two main divisions, Gborxome and Etoe. There are seven clans in Have. The three in Etoe are, Tegbevi, Todzigbe and Ablodey and four in Gborxome: Akleme (the royal clan), Agome, Atsame and Domefe). Together with other settler communities they celebrate the Agadevi festival, a development festival. Hunting, farming and marketing are the main economic activities in the community. They are predominantly farmers who engage in the production of cassava, maize, plantain, and banana, yam and vegetables like pepper, garden eggs and okro. They are able to convey their farm produce to Kpeve, Logba and Kpando markets.

 

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AT HAVE-ETOE

Holy Cross Catholic Church in Have is located at Etoe. GPS Code: VF-2111-7683 located on 6°44¢50.4²N 0°21¢16.1²E. The church was started in 1925, by Mr. Christian Avedzi. According to oral tradition, Mr. Christian Avedzi worked as a chainsaw operator (then called, sawyer) in Kumasi. After examining how rewarding the new faith was, he shared his experience with his relatives at Have. The early converts worship in the house of Mr. Michael Ayi Anku-Kumah Yao. His house became the mission house for priests who visited them. Unfortunately, Mr. Michael Ayi Anku-Kumah later converted to another religion before he died, therefore was not given a christian burial.

Since the Evangelical Presbyterian church was already established in the community, the early Catholics faced some opposition from their counterparts of the EP church in the town. Mr. Christian Avedzi was even summoned before the then chief; accusing him of being responsible for allegedly ‘bringing chaos’ into the community and therefore was asked to pay a ram as punishment. Despite this, the early Catholics persevered in the faith. They put up a structure in the house, and when this old structure became too small, they decided to move to the central part of Etoe, and thereafter to their present location. They were able to complete and move into their current church in 1978 AD.

Initially, the church was an outstation of Liati Parish under Rev. Fr. Dogli, the first African Catholic priest. It later became an outstation of Vakpo parish until it was created a parish in 2014 by Bishop Francis Lodonu who also blessed and commissioned the new mission house on 7th December, 2014. The first parish priest was Fr Paulin Akpapupu from 2014 to March 2017. Msgr Cletus Egbi also lived here for a time and as well Fr Raphael Nutsugah. Fr Happy G. Akabo, headmaster of Rijnbeek school became the priest in charge until November 2019 when Fr Paul A Agbodza was appointed to take over.

The first known catechist was Emmanuel Duah and the first head christian was Christian Avedzi, the first Catholic of the community. Teresea Afetor became the first ‘Hamedada’. Head Christians include Mr. Paul Avedzi, Linus Avedzi and currently, Mr. Winfred Andreas Yaw Abiwu is assisted by Malwine Tre.  Mr. Simon Gidi and Mrs. Josephine Afetor are the current catechists.

The parish has six outstations: St Francis of Assisi at Ando #2; St Mary at Kpeve; Holy Rosary at Agate; St Michael at Sadzikorfe; St. Joseph at Kpeve-Tornu and St Michael at Aveyoryoe.

The church then decided build a school towards the education of their children. Therefore, in the year 1952 a primary school was established, and in September 2017 a Junior High School had been added. The headmistress is Madam Elizabeth Adzoa Hoenyame.

 

Catholics form about 30% of the entire population and about 150 people attend church on Sundays. Have has the following groups and confraternities: Holy Cross Church choir, Catholic Youth Organization (CYO), Catholic Youth Action, Catholic Charismatic Renewal, Sacred Heart Confraternity, Catholic Women Association, Altar servers and St. Anthony’s Guild.

 

 

THE HISTORY OF HOLY TRINITY CATHOLIC CHURCH,HOHOE

INTRODUCTION

In 1984 the then Parish Priest of St Augustine's Church Hohoe in the person of Rev.Fr.

John Adamfo declared his intention to create holy mass Centre's in the St Augustine's Church namely: Bla, Kpeme, Abansi and Gborxome to facilitate easy administration of the parish. His Lordship, the Bishop of Keta-Ho Diocese Rt. Rev. Francis Kofi Anani Lodonu approved the idea. This led to the establishment of the Holy Trinity Catholic Church at Gborxome.

ORGANIZATION

Since the beginning of every venture is always faced with challenges, the Holy Trinity Catholic Church at Gborxome was no exception. The founding fathers embarked on a serious house-to-house search for Catholics in Gborxome and its environs through'May Rosaries' in the individual houses. During this exercise, hands were laid on many


 Catholics in the community which led to the establishment of the Mass Centre at E.P Kindergarten 'C ' Classroom in November 1984. This crusade was led by Mr. Gbekle, Mr. Heh, Mr. Tsyise, Mrs. Annah Heh, Mrs. Gertrude Amewu and Madam Josephine Agbolosu (Korsinor).

 

BEGINNING OF THE CHURCH

Before the Mass Center was established, Rev. Fr. John Adamfo made it clear that, he could only celebrate mass with the centre fortnightly. On Sundays the catholic community at Gborxome came together to attend church services which was led by the then catechist in the person of Mr. Anthony Gbekle and assisted by Mr. Louis Kumesi. This went on for some time when Mr. Anthony Gbekle became indisposed and Mr. Louis Kumesi stood in for seven (7) months until Mr. Gbekle recovered. At one of his usual mass celebrations at the center, Rev. Fr. Adamfo expressed satisfaction with the attendance and asked the faithful to keep it up. At the Same time, the late Anthony Tsigbe the then Hamemega of St. Augustine church who was also present at the mass added his voice that this was more than a mass center therefore the founding fathers should find a land for permanent church building. This advice was adhered to whilst looking for a land. Mr. F. K. Q. Kafe offered his premises for the purpose and the choir also started from that place. Later on, a piece of land was acquired very close to Mr. F. K Kafe house on which a palm branch shade was raised under which church services was celebrated on Sundays. Mr. Tsyise was in charge of the maintenance of the shade. In fact he did very well. The land acquired later landed the church in court. Mr. S. K. Heh was then one who represented the church at any time the case was called at court. However, God been on the side of the church, the judgment went in favour of the church. This came about as a result of the professional; display of the church lawyer the late Mr. Leonard Mawudoku, a barrister at law who defended the church at court.

Church services continued under the palm branches shade at the mercy of the weather and sometimes have to finish up in Mr. F. Q. Kafe's house due to heavy rains. This earns Mr. F. Q. Kafe the name "ZIKPUITOR". This uncertain weather condition necessitated an emergency block shade roofed with boards and felt.

CEREMONIAL OPENING

The ceremonial opening of the mass center by Rev. Fr. Francis Amu the then parish priest of the St. Augustine church assisted by four (4) Rev. Frs. took place on 7th June 1987 with the Liati Comboni Brass band in attendance, It was indeed a very beautiful and enjoyable day. Twenty —three (23) children were baptized on the memorable occasion. It was on that day that the late Mr. S. K. K. Heh who was the first Hamemega of the church gave the name Holy Trinity Catholic Church. This idea came to him when he took cognizance of St. Augustine's and the Holy Rosary being two catholic churches already in existence and this being the third one. The first mass boys were Messers Peter Heh and Daniel Kafe.

GROWTH

As the years rolled by the congregation was becoming very large, the founding fathers together with the church committees saw the need for the expansion of the church. Unfortunately, in May 1997, the first Hamemega, Mr. S.K.K. Heh passed away. Mr. F. Q. Kafe was appointed acting Hamemega till January 1999 when Mr. P. K. Agbolosu was elected the substantive Hamemega. The church began mobilizing resources for the commencement of the church building. A delegation was sent to Bishop Lodonu to seek his concern and approval. He welcomed the idea, gave his blessings and readily donated bundles of iron sheets worth Three Million Cedis  for the commencement of the work. A committee of seven (7) headed by the late Mr. Leo Aku saw to the successful execution of the project. As the work was in progress donation were received from many angles in cash and kind to mention but one of them was St. Augustine Catholic Church, which donated Seventy-Five Thousand Cedis (₵75, OOO) as the church support for the project. The work was completed on 29th March 1999.

MEDIUM OF COMMUNICATION

Three languages were used in the church namely: Ewe, Twi and English. The interpreters were Mr. Anku Kraka and Miss Sabana Asante.

FOUNDERS

The following were the founding members: the late Mr. S.K.K. Heh, the then Hamemega, Mr. Anthony Gbekle the Catechist. F. Q. Kafe, Mr. L. K.Kumesi- Catechist, Mr. Clemence Tsyise, Mrs. Gertrude Amewu the First Hamedada,Mrs. Annah Heh, Madam Josephine Agbolosu Alias "Korsinor" , Mrs Alice Dankwah,the late Leo Aku and Mr. S. K. Bidi Etc.

PRIESTS

The Holy Trinity Catholic Church being an out station of St. Augustine church was ministered to occasionally by the following Rev. Fathers: Rev. Frs. John Adamfo, Moses Odumah, Adolph Amexo, John Odzangba, Paul Hometorwu, Francis Amuh, Francis
Homatekpor, Emmanuel Pani, Raphael Tawiah, Prosper Abotsi, Felix Atepor, Matthew Afenyo, Francis Azah, Francis Mensah Agbaku, John Peter Agage, TheophilousAmeka, Eric Agbeko all of St. Augustine Catholic Church, Hohoe. Due to the workload in the parish, permission was sort from the then Principal of St. Teresa's training college in the person of Mrs. Gladys Ahiabu to release the chaplain of the college to cater for the church which she readily did.

In the year 1989, the chaplain of the college Rev. Fr. Edward Siffah assumed duty of the church as the visiting priest and introduced the welfare fund. However, priest from the St. Francis Training College and St. Mary's Seminary Secondary School, Lolobi do visit the church occasionally to celebrate mass on Sundays and the feast days. To mention but a few of them were Rev. Frs. Theodore Agbekudzi, Theophilus Habada and Pascal Afesi who held the mantle for thirteen (13) years.

Others were Rev. Msgr. Rudolph Apietu, Rev. Frs. Mathias Denutsui who introduced C.Y.O. into the church, Felix Akpa all of St. Francis Training College chaplaincy. The rest were Rev. Frs. Theodore Foli, Ephraim Mensah, Walter Agbettoh all Of St. Mary's Seminary Secondary School, Lolobi and Rev. Frs. Michael Joy Akposu, Isaac Benuyenah, Anthony Kornu, Peter Akabua and others.

It was on the 31st August 2008 when the Bishop declared that the mass centre should become a parish with Rev. Father Theophilous Ameka being the Parish Priest.

CATECHISTS

The Holy Trinity Catholic Church had seven catechists since its establishment. They are the late Mr. Anthony Gbekle, Mr. Louis Kumesi, Miss Cate Owusu, Mr. Albert Adipah Yaobotsi, Miss Adzogah Mary, Mr. Matthew Nukporti and Mr. David Amegbor.

 

CHOIR

In 1986, the Holy Trinity Catholic Church Choir was established. The choir was robed on 13th November 199 and Mr. Paul Funtro became the first choirmaster. Presently it is been led by Pius Goze. However, on the 29th 2011 a new choir was outdoored by Rev. Fr. Denutsui and Mr. Isaac Tawiah,

CHURCH COMMITEES

The following were the committee members over the period 1984 to 1997. The late Mr. S.K.K. Heh, Mr. F.Q Kafe, Mr. Anthony Gbekle, Mr. Louis Kumesi, Mr. Albert Adipah Yaobotsi, Mr. Casmir Adzisam, Mr. Peter Gemewolie, Mr. ClemenceTsyise, the late Mr.

Augustine Anku- Kraka, Mrs. Sabina Asante,  Mr .B.K.Owusu, B.T.K. Adzisam,  Mrs. Gertude Amewu,  Mary Adzogah,  Peace Ewedzeagbagba and the Late Messers Leo Aku and Simon Bidi.

The Following Worked From 1999-2002. Mr Peter Agbolosu (Deceased), Mr. Clemence Tsyise, Mr. F.Q. Kafe, Anthony Gbekle, Louis Kumesi, Albert Adipah-Yaobotsi, Mr. Richard Agyarko, E. K. Boti, C.K. Adzisam, Mrs. Sabina Asante, Mrs. Beatrice GemewoIie, Mrs. Peace Ewedzeagbagba and Miss Mary Adzogah.

The Following were the past Church Committee Members

The Rest Were: Mr E. Y Dotse, Peter Heh, Mr. Sebastian Sefenu, Mr. Peter Vidza, Miss

Bethar Kuada, Miss Vivian Gabadah and Miss Bernice Agbekonu.


COUNCIL OF ELDERS

Mr. Joseph Foli, Mr. Dickson Duhoe, Mr. Clemence Tsyise, Mrs. Gertrude Amewu and

Annah Heh.

2011-2014 CHURCH COMMITTEES

Peter Heh

Hamemegah

Emmanuel Dotse

Assistant

Vent Vorvor

Secretary

Augustine Degbe

Assist. Secretary

Philip Preku

Financial Secretary

Mrs. Tando

Hamedada

Mr. Tsorhe

Priest —Rep

Anthony Antwi

Priest Rep

Mawulawoe Kportufe

Holy Trinity Church Choir Rep

Daniel Vidza

Christ the Kings of Kings Choir

Peter Vidza

C.Y.A Rep

Mawuli Richard

C.Y.O.Rep

Susana Opoku

Sacred Heart Rep

Bethar Kuada             Catholic Charismatic Renewal Rep

THE CURRENT PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL-PPC (2017 TO DATE


Rev. Fr. Lawrence Akli                     

 Mr. Godwin Geraldo            

 Mrs. Margaret Duhoe

Mr. Francis Boafo Agbeko    

Mrs. Mary Adetor —Attah   

Mr. Innocent Nyalemegbe

Mrs. Theresa Anthonio-Ayiduvor

Mr. Peter Anani Vidza

 Mr. Alex Gonu

Mr. Mawuena K. Tsenya

 Mr. Anthony Antwi

Mrs Victoria Eweh Amedodzi

Ms. Georgina Avorkliya         

Mr. Matthew Nukporti                  

President

Chairman

Vice Chairman

Secretary

Assist. Secretary

Financial Secretary

Treasurer

Sacred Heart Rep

Knights of the Altar Rep

C.Y.A/ C.Y.O Rep

Men's Fellowship Rep

Church Choirs Rep

St. Anthony's Guild

Catechist

 

CONFRATERNITIES 

 

The Holy Trinity Church Choir

Christ the Kings of Kings Choir

Catholic Youth Organization

Catholic Charismatic Renewal

Perpetual Help Confraternity

Sacred Heart Confraternity

Catholic Women Association

Catholic Men Association

Catholic Youth Action

Saint Anthony Guild

CATECHUMEN

From 7th June, 1987 to 21st April 2011, 489 were baptized and 209 were confirmed into the church, whilst 22 had Holy Matrimony.

 

NUMERICAL STRENGTH

Currently, the numerical strength is about 800 whilst communicants were around 260.

ACHIEVEMENTS

To keep the founder’s development vision, the church embarked on a mission house project which was single hand by members through the efforts of Rev. Fr. Sylvester Mawusi and Rev. Fr. Theophilus Ameka who blessed the land.

The fencing of the mission house was initiated by the parish priest and embraced by all parishioners. The project is about half-way completed. We say ayekoo to all parishioners. God should bless you all.

 

PARISH STATUS  

The Holy Trinity Catholic Church was declared parish by his Lordship Bishop Francis A.K. Lodonu at St. Augustine church, Hohoe on 11th April, 2010 and Rev. Fr. Mathias Denutsui was proclaimed the first parish priest.

SOME DEPARTED FOUNDERS

Mr. S.K.K. I-leh

Mr. Anthony Gbekle

Mr. F.Q. Kafe

Mr. S.K. Bidi

Mr. P.K. Agbolosu, Mr. Leo Aku,  Mad.Josephine Agbolosu to mention but a few. May their souls and the unmentioned rest in perfect peace.

 

 

SHORT HISTORY OF ANFOEGA PARISH

THE BIRTH OF THE PARISH

The birth of the Parish took a long and painful labour.  It all began when Mr. Urban, the dynamic Catechist at Wademaxe at that time made an appeal to Bishop Augustine Herman, the first Bishop of the Diocese after the departure of the German S.V.D. missionaries from the area. The Bishop, however. launched the debate on the topic among Anfoega and Vakpo communities.

 

In 1953, the Anfoega, Vakpo communities comprising Aveme Danyigba, Aveme Berne, Awate - Todzi, Tsrukpe, Wusuta and Botoku held a meeting at Vakpo to discuss the possibility of forming a Parish either at Vakpo or Anfoega. That meeting, however, ended in a deadlock following the disagreement as to where the Presbytery would be.

 

Another meeting was, however, scheduled to take place at Wademaxe but that meeting never to place. In that same year Anfoega Wademaxe convened a separate meeting on the matter. Present at the meeting were the following communities: -

 

Anfoega - Akukome, Dzana, Agatanyigbe, Aveme-Berne, Danyigba and Awate - Todzi. At the meeting. Aveme communities and Awate led by Mr. Anselmus Mensah preferred the presbytery at Anfoega to Vakpo and pledged to join Anfoega for the creation of the Parish.

The consensus at the meeting was that the Parish should be opened at Anfoega rather than at Vakpo I'm the sake of accessibility of communities to presbytery it should be built at Anfoega - Akukome instead of Wadamaxe which was the oldest Catholic Community. The meeting also noted a convent for religious sisters be built for Wademaxe in the future.

The report of the meeting was presented to the Rt. Rev. Anthony Konings, the Bishop of the Diocese at that time. The Bishop agreed on the decision of the meeting on condition that the Anfoega Church afforded a mission house. The Anfoega churches namely Wademaxe, Akukome, Agatanyigbe, Dzana Aveti and Denui accepted the challenge.

A team of central committee for the Parish project led by Mr. Lambeth Dzeble and including Togbe Tepre Hodo III went to all' Anfoega communities and to all Anfoega citizens living and working on cocoa farms in Buem and Akposo in Togo and appealed for funds for the building of the Presbytery.

 

The main appeal was launched at Anfoega Wademaxe. The whole community received the news with enthusiasm. On the spot, ten ponds (10) which is equivalent to ¢22,300 today. and some bags of cement were realised. Wherever the team went the people donated generously either in cash or in kind. for instance, at Anfoega Akukome Mr. Victor Kwasi Akonta, Mr. Kwasi Apawu and Togbe Tepre Hodo donated some bags of cement.

 

As soon as the building plan and materials were ready, people were mobilised for the constructional work. It is interesting to note that the whole of the Anfoega community was involved in the building project, Catholics as well as non-Catholics. Mr. Kwasi Apawu for instance, though a Presbyterian was the chief mason for the constructional work. After a short time, the presbytery was ready. Impressed by the enthusiasm of the Anfoega communities, Bishop Anthony Konings approved the opening of the Parish.

 

In 1955, Fr. T. Maessen, S.M.A. arrived at Anfoega Akukome as first resident priest and 1956. Bishop Anthony Konings officially opened the Parish with a Pontifical High Mass.

 

Father T. Maessen started his apostolate at the Parish with vigour. He was later joined by Fr. John Mensink. Both laid a sound foundation for the Parish. Some of the resident priest who followed them were: - Fr. Joachim Boumans, Fr. J. Crammers, 1960 -1963, Fr. J. de Haan, 1963 -1966, Fr. Vespeek later joined as an assistant priest. Fr. Wenders also came in for two years as another assistant. Fr. I. Maessen returned to the Parish in 1966 and left in 1968. Fr. F. Mulders took over from 1968-1973 Others were, Fr. M. Oduma 1973 - 1975, (He was the first African priest), Fr. A. Hulshof. 1975 1976). Fr. George Amlado of blessed memory, 1976 - 1978, Frs. T. Ntsri and Simon Agboso 1978- 1980). Fr. Gabriel Mante (now Bishop of Jasikan Diocese), 1980 - 1981, Fr. D. Kwashie, 1981 – 1985 of blessed memory, Fr. E. Akodor, 1985 - 1993, Fr. C. Adu joined for three years as an assistant priest, Fr. P. Akabua joined the team as an assistant from 1990 - 1994 after Fr. C. Adu had left on transfer, Fr. Richard Adofoli, the first Anfoega native priest came in 1993. Fr. Adofoli and his assistant Fr. Vincent Antie were together from 1995 - 1996. After the departure of Fr. Vincent Antie, Fr. Peter Amevor has succeeded him as the present assistant priest.

Current priest at the station are: - Rev. Fr. Anthony Akpalu (Parish Priest), Rev. Fr. Sebastian Ametefe (Associate), Rev. Fr. Francis Agalah (Associate).

The Parish is presently composed of the following fifteen (15) stations in order or establishment: -

  1. Anfoega Wademaxe - Established in 1906 by Togbe Gbemu of Anfoega - Wademaxe
    Avugborme
  2. Aveme Danyigba - Established 1906 by Kandama Kwami, Kandama Kwaku. Vincent

Kosikuma Srem, Thomas Attah, Dagblewu and Francis Abiu.

  1. Anfoega Agatanyigbe - Established in 1910 by Azornu Adzim, Akaminka Adzim. Aiikpo and James Gordon from Anfoega Dzana.
  2. Awate Agame - Established in 1911 by Ankuviidzie Nheti.
  3. Anfoega Akukome (Central) - Established in 1913 by Eugene Nanga and Madam, Augusta,
  4. Awate Todzi - Established in 1918 by Panin Adjah Tsedze, Fia Mawusi and Asafoatse:-Adzaho Tefe.
  5. Aveme Beme - Established in 1924 by Clemence Ntibre, Rahael Anyormidie, Regina Dempo and Mawuko.

 

  1. Tsyome Sabadu - Established in 1924 by Togbe Tse Kwami, John Krambo. John Affrim and Sebastian Gbadagba from Kpando Tsakpe.
  2. Anfoega Denui - Established in 1925 by Tendeku Aloysius who became the first
  3. Anfoega Aveti - Established in 1925 by William Kwadzovi Dzeble who also became the First catechist, Michael Kwami Dzeble, Thomas Afawli and Elias Zuglu.
  4. Anfoega Dzana - Established in in 1928 by Edward K. Ankude.
  5. Aveme Gborxome - Established in 1962 by Joseph Tsaku, Cleopha Kaminka, Rebecca Briba and Helen Agbo
  6. Anfoega Gblenkor - Established in 1977 as a sub-station from Anfoega Akukome (Central) and led by Stephen Golo and Joseph Simpi.
  7. Anfoega Wuve - Established in 1986 with the naite of establisher not furnished.

 

  1. Aveme Dra - Established in ................................. .

 

BRIEF HISTORY OF SOVIE CATHOLIC CHURCH

 

History has it that in July 1905, the white SVD Fathers establishment the Catholic Church at Sovie through the initiative of Rev. Anthony Witte a German missionary.

Mr. Avedor who hails from Anfoega Dzana was   the first teacher catechist also who brought Roman Catholic Education to Sovie. The church was welcomed by the paramount chief of Sovie Togbega Luwui and the Church got started from his house.

The white SVD priest who comes from Kpando Aloyi to celebrate mass for the people was nick name Fr. Kpetoge because of his long beard. Anku  Wuabu was appointed the first leader of the church. When the member of the convert increased it became necessary that they relocated from Togbe Luwui's house to a new place. The people agreed to put up a chapel. The brain behind this suggestion were Fofo Kumah, Ludwig Kofi, Baba, Dzekabo, Atakumah, Loglo, Glimeti and  Prika. In 1936, A bigger chapel was put up by the people. The people worked tirelessly to put up a historic chapel in which they worshipped and are still worshipping up to date. The building was completed within six months. This Monumental chapel is very unique in the sense that stones were beautifully arranged as blocks for it walls.  The first elected head Christian was Togbe Agbo. He was assisted by Dodo, Asiantide Kodzo and Dzoti Atta.

 Togbe Agbo was succeeded by Kpetor Doe.  The third Head-Christian was Paul Amy in 1926, the following people were elected as Head-Christians to represent the various clans. They were:

1: Alphonse Kofi: Deme Reps.

2: Augustine Atta Dzisi: Yorwu  Reps.

3: Nicholas Asiantide : Konda Reps.

 

NATURE CATECHISTS

1: Thadoes Vormekpenya was the first native catechist

2: The second catechist was Lucas Tuabu (aka march -on).

3: Lucas Gembi (aka Ganyo) was the third catechist

4: After the death of Lucas Gembi, Aloysius  Nyansem (aka Komlavi) became the next catechist.

The maiden name of the church was St. Peter And Paul Catholic Church.  It was the biggest out station of the St. Peter and Paul Parish Anfoega.

In 2009 the name was changed to St. Benedict Catholic Church.

The demand for a parish started as far back in 1910. However, it was not until 2013 when the Church was curved out of Anfoega Parish by the Diocesan Bishop Rt. Rev. Francis Anani Lodonu to be known as St. Benedict Parish.

 

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SOVIE TODAY

Catholics formed about 80% of the population of Sovie. In the Church women constitute the majority of the congregation followed by children, the youth and men respectively. The growth of the church has led to the emergence of a lot of groups, Societies, organizations and confraternities. Among them are three choirs named St Cecilia, All Saints and Ss Peter And Paul Choirs.

In the Course of years the church has produced (9) nine priest,  a Rev.Brother and one Rev.Sister.

 

These Are

Rev. Fr. Paul Simpiney

Rev. Fr. Agbekudzi

Rev. Fr. Felix Atepor

Rev.Fr.  Benedict Adzogba

Rev.Fr. Peter Akaboa

Rev. Fr. Happy Gabriel Akabo

Rev.Fr. Coleman Getor

Rev. Fr. Simpiney.

 Rev. Fr. Akoto Francis

Rev. Fr. Pessey Ephraim

Rev. Brother Peter Edge

The name of the priest in charge of the parish is Rev. Fr Raphael Nutsuga

 JOSEPH PARISH LIATI

HISTORY OF ST. JOSEPH PARISH – 1900

With the expansion of the Catholic Church in German Togoland led to the visit of the SVD Missionaries to Liati during this era the then paramount chief of the Liati traditional area, Torgbui Gblemer vi was excited by the Western Religion.  He therefore invited one of his sub-chiefs, Torgbui Siayor of Datem with whom he discussed the of this new Religion which was readily accepted.  A delegation was therefore sent to Dr. Gronner, the then Governor of the Trans – Volta Togoland at Kpalime Missahoe, asking for the establishment of a church by the Catholic Mission at Liati: Dr. Gronne, requested and enquired about the issue from Rev. Fr. Vittey.  The delegation was led by a son of Liati, Mr. Fofoe who worked as a tailor in Agorme Kpalime in the company of Mr. Joseph Mundi, a Teacher – Catechist from Aneho.

The Paramount chief and his elders welcomed the missionaries.  After this first encounter, preparations made way for the first Mass to be celebrated in 1900 by Rev. Fr. Vittey SVD. It was a big occasion for the entire village under a shed near the former primary school.  A few weeks after the celebration Mr. Mundi was asked to pay regular visits to Liati and to instruct the few who had embraced the faith.

In those early years, Kpando was already an outstation of the SVD Missionaries due to its administrative set up.  This outstation gave the opportunity to the people of Liati and its small decisions to host the missionaries as they passed through Liati on route to Kpando.

With serious Catechetical instructions the first converts were baptized in 1902.

From 1914-1918 the first world war became an obstacle to the growth of the young Church after the first baptisms.  The war led to the division of Togoland between France and Britain on July 17, 1920.  British Togoland with three Missions of Kpando, Bla and Ho nominees under the administration of the Gold Coast.  The result was that all SVD Missionaries were expelled and for several years the stations were hardly visited or not at all.  But some Teachers, Catechists kept the faith until the arrival of the SMA Fathers.  Those who accepted the faith never in steal on their Oas.  They will not like the work and hardships endured by Mr. Joseph Moncley and Rev. Fr. Vittey to be in vain.

In 1921, Mr. Joseph Opeku one of the converts persuaded the other interested people to start the work started by the missionaries.  He became the leader catechist and teacher of the new born church.  Most people were converted and therefore believed in the new religion particularly due to the sudden change in Mr. Gelum, who was once an architect in the belief and execution of the laws and regulations of the traditional religion to join the Catholic faith.

In 1922 when Rev. Fr. Dogli was ordained and stationed at Kpando.  He was invited to Liati by the followers of the Catholic faith, where he baptized and gave them their first taste of the body of Christ, Holy Communion During all this time, Liati was still under the Klonto Parish.  As such most people went to Kpalime to celebrated the various feast of the Catholic Church.

The Keta Diocese was established in 1924 under the leadership and patronage of Rt. Rev. Bishop Auguste Herman.  The Klonto Diocese was then separated from the newly established one and Liati became a member of the newly created Diocese.

With the promise by the Bishop to establish Liati Parish in 1928 the people resolved to work hard with Messers, Opoku, Tonyesinu Akabua and Amuzu. 

In 1921 the SMA Fathers began to arrive for the Keta Diocese.  The main stations of the SVD fathers which were left unattended to were taken over by the SMA Fathers.

The SMA fathers used to visit Liati and its surrounding villages regularly until in 1928 when the Church was raised to a parish status.  Before this Fathers visited Liati from Kpalime, Kpando and Gbi to celebrate Mass with them.  The Liati Parish was established by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Augustus Herman with Liati Central (Odumase, Agbonyra, Dalekpedzi, Datem as the headquarters and the permanent residence of the parish priest.  Some of the Architects who in diverse ways help in the establishment of the long-awaited parish includes Messers George Hotse Opeku of Liati Odumase, Johanes Tornyesinu and Sabastian Adzror of Liati Datem George Akabua of Liati Delekpedzi.  Most of the architects did not live long to see fruits of their hard work.  They are like Moses who toiled day and night with the Israelites in the wilderness but never entered the promised land.  These people were succeeded either on the account of their oldage or death.  Mr. Joseph Opeku was succeeded by Mr. Hotse Opeku, while Mr. Albert Opekei took over from Mr. Joe Opeku at Odumase. At Datem, Mr. Stephen Adzror, James Johannes Tornyesinu, Mr. Peter Amuzu Nyavor, Mr Henry Doh at Agbonyra, Mr. Gabriel Tussah succeeded Mr. George Akabua at Dalekpedzi. 

Rev. Fr. Leo Verstengen became the first residence priest in 1928.  In 1930 Rev. Fr. John Beckers was sent to assist Rev. Fr. Leo in 1937 a misunderstanding arose between the chiefs and priests and this led to the close of the mission.  But it was again opened at the end of 1937 with Rev. Fr. Band as the new Parish Priest.

With age catching up with Most of the SMA Fathers and a few having already retired and left for home (Holland) Bishop Lodonu who succeeded Rt. Rev. Anthony Konings (1976) invited the Comboni Missionaries for Africa to work in his diocese (Keta – Ho). 

The arrival of the Comboni Missionaries was a great blessing to the people of St. Joseph Parish Liati including all stations under Queen of Peace Parish Golokwati.  It was a new dawn for the Parish, since the Parish was vacant for almost two years.  The first of the Comboni Priests to arrive with his lordship, Bishop Lodonu in March 1977 were Rev. Frs. Joseph Rabbiosi and Eugenia Petroyalli.

After the final departure of the Comboni Missionaries, the local Priest took over the administration of the Parish.  Currently we have Rev. Fr. Theophilus Sena Ameka as the Parish Priest and Rev. Fr. Dennis Kumah Asare as the Assistant parish Priest.  Mr. Foster Onyameamah – PPC Chairman Mr. Paul Hodzo – PFC Chairman

 

Current Catechists/stations

Opeku Cyril Hope                              – Central

NBtsri Cherobin                                 – Central

Dagbe Patrick                                     – Central

Srabi William                                     – Soba

Donyo Johnbapties                             – Soba

Dzata Lucas                                        – Avetome

Kwamitse John                                   – Vuote

Agbaciza Gabriel                                – Gagadze

Zogli Marcus                                      – Datomi

Norgbedzi Charles                              – Datomi

Kadzuo Rubben                                  – Tove

Ziga Victus                                         – Tove

Klutse Richard                                    – Tove

Adzavor Samuel                                 – Teikrom

Akli Bernice                                       – Teikrom

Gbeve Irene                                        -  Toryami

Pyaro Daniel                                       – Toryami

Asemsro John                                     – Dafor

Kutani Simpson                                  – Duga

Hodzo Paul                                         – Duga

Lanwe Daniel                                     – Agbesia

Aformale Felix                                   – Agbesia

Stanislaus Tehozo                               - Wobe

 

 

 

 

Local Priest from St. Joseph Parish

Rev. Fr. Lawrence Akli                      – Hohoe

Rev. Fr. Peter Akabua                        – Shia

Rev. Fr. Patric Afenyo                        – Kpando,

Rev. sister Florence Adoxon,

Rev. Sister Alberta Tonyesinu

 

Education:

One important thing we have to thank the missionaries for education.  With their religion came education.  Schools were established and these schools still exist Many people from all over including Togo attended our schools.  The Parish Priest were and still the Local Managers.

Health

The Comboni Missionaries established two clinics in the St. Joseph Parish which has help to cater for the health needs of the parishioners.  This has given employment to a few of the youth.  The parishioners do not have to go to Kpando or Hohoe to attend hospitals, unless it is a referred case.

Economic Life

These is not much economic activity in our parish.  The people are peasant farmers.  A few indulge in petty trading.  This brings income which is just enough to maintain their homes.  Despite this they are able to support the parish.

Conclusion

With the above, we can now confidently say the St. Joseph parish will endowed. It is moving forward and was believe that it will grow into a vibrant enjoyable and envious parish.  We pray for the day when we will produce more religious and clergy to add to the number already existing.

 

 

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST PETER'S PARISH, VAKPO 

 

PREFACE

The Rt. Rev. Augustine Herman, the first Bishop Ho Diocese came to Keta and took possession öf. the newly established episcopal see on the 23rd October After 22. years, hard work to save the souls of mankind, Bishop Hernan died in 1945 and was buried at Keta.  May His soul rest in peace,

Tthe Rt. Rev. Bishop Francis A. K. Lodonu, the first indigenous Bishop was consecrated in Rone by His Holiness, Pope Paul VI on June 29, 1973, exactly 50 years. Later.  He succeeded the Rt. Rev. Anthony Konings.

In 1957 Vakpo which was under Kpando parish got her first resident priest Rev. father M. Bond. Vakpo was therefore created the Parish Headquaters the following towns constitute Vakpo Parish today: 1 Vakpo - Headquarters 2; Wusuta, 3 Trukpe, 4, Botolcu 5, Tsoxor 64 Dunyo 7. Fu 8. Have 9. and 10, Kpeve.

The History of the foundation and the development Of the Catholic Church in the stations within Vakpo parish are the contents of this booklet,

Today let us remember with special gratitude, in our prayers all our Missionaries, Catechists, teachers, Head Christian, Christians Mothers and all others who contributed to the growth of the Catholic Church in this Parish.

May God bless us all to grow from strength to strength in Spirit and in our service to God

 

A.Y. VENYO

(THE SECRETARY)

VAKPO PARISH CENT. CEL. COMM.

 

CONTENT:

  1. Vakpo R.C. Church
  2. Wusuta R.C. Church
  3. Tsrukpe “          “
  4. Kpeve “          “
  5. Agate “          “
  6. vakpo Fu “          “
  7. Have “          “
  8. Tsoxor “          “

 

 

HISTORY OF VAKPO R.C. MISSION 1911 - 1980

It is true that the history of, Vakpo R.C. Mission cannot be written independently of the history of the R.C considerable number of years the existence of the Mission depended on the school. and furthermore, the various headteachers of, the schoo1 were at the same time the Catechists for the Mission.

The Ronan Catholic. Mission was brought to Vakpo by the Iate Andreas of Kukranti, a converted Presbyterian, of Vakpo Gboxome in 1911 However some

Individuals managed to get baptized as Catholics before 1911 Those individuals babtised were probably baptized outside Vakpo but they could not. organize. themselves into a church, these early Christians were as follow:

  (1).  Andreas K.Obimpe of Vakpo Afeye baptized in 1904

  (II). John Yara of Vakpo Fodome baptised in 190

  (111). Teresa Afua baptized In 1908

 (vi). Miriam Donkutse of Vakpo Adomi and baptized in 1910.

The Rev, Father who was then trying to propagate the Catholic faith in and around Anfoega and Vakpo wag father Vitte, a German.      Missionary. Soon after in 191 1 a small church was built by Father Vitte near Vakpo Adoni. This building, which was put up with the help of      Andreas Kokuanti of Vakpo Gboxome, Mr.kpekpelikpe of Vakpo Afeye and Carpenter Annani of Kpando, served as the chapel and classroom for children who attended Gerrnan School until  1915, Some of the earliest teacher/catechists were:

             (i} Latsa Nicholas of Nkonya

             (ii). Jacob of Fodome

             (iii). Daniel Kofikuma of Vakpo Adoni       

             (vi) John Yara of Vakpo Fodome

  The Church began to grow when in 1922, gone appreciable number of people were baptised, The Headteacher/Catechist at that time was Mr.Casmir Afun 'who came to continuethe English  School which was opened in about 1919,  It was not untill 1924 that Sabastian  became the first substantiye headchristian for  the Vakpo Catholic church, He was supported by the following important figures;

  1. Athanasius Amani Ziku  2.  Michael Delcu  3. Emmanuel Adzayawa
  2. Andreas Kovi 5. Madam Regina Shrahasi 6. Emmanuel Togbede.  7.Madam Josephine Yawa
  3. Regina Togbede 9. Madam Selena Nyadoa

10, Madam Agatha Baku 11. Ferdinand Ayittey and some few others.

From 1926 to 1932, there, was no 3 teacher/Catechist. Atantius Anani Ziku of Vakpo Gboxome became the• church Catechist arid he was assisted by Stanislaus  Kotoku of Vakpo Afeye.

 In 1933) the school was opened again and the headteacher was Mr. Stephen Awume. From that time onward both the school: and the mission grew from strength to strength in 1949, the infant/Junior School saw seoerated from the senior school with another headteacher.

In 1955 the school which was an important organ of the church suffered heavenly from poor enrolment.  To solve this problem of poor enrolment.

Mr. Aloysius Ayittey was sent to recruit children from Kedjebi to Ahamanso while Mr. T.O.  adzayawo was to recruit school 'pupils from Teteman through Baika to Akporsor (Togo). This exercise was quite successful.

In 1956 the church started to build mission. house. for the Priests the house is completed in 1957 and in 1958, Rev. Father. M bond became the residence priest at Vakpo, the parish priest Headquarters

Head Christian: The following are the Head Christians who contributed to the growth of the Catholic Church at Vakpo:

  1. The late Sabastian Sor – 1924-1954
  2. The late Linus Owusu – 1954-1958
  3. The late Hubert Ayittey – 1959-1963
  4. Leo Dodoh – 1963 -1970
  5. Bernard Akorli – 1971 – 1975
  6. Leo Dodoh – 1976-1979
  7. Bernand Akorli – 1979 –

May the departed rest in peace.

CHRISTIAN MOTHERS.

These include

  1. Cecilia gbegbode
  2. Francisca Owusu
  3. Pangaratia Gogobli
  4. Christian Siffah

PARISH PRIESTS

  1. Rev. Fr. Vitte
  2. Rev. Fr. Erhart
  3. Rev. Fr. Dogli
  4. Rev. Fr. Bernts
  5. Rev. Fr. O. W. Lieshout
  6. D. V. Leewen
  7. Rev. Fr. Bond
  8. Rev. Fr. Konings (later the B ishop)
  9. Rev. Fr. W. Hendrise
  10. Rev. Fr. Hariberign
  11. Rev. Fr. De Veries
  12. Rev. Fr. Yao Paul
  13. Rev. Fr. Vanbar
  14. Rev. Fr. Bonto
  15. Rev. Fr. Meassen
  16. Rev. Fr. Shelitinga
  17. Rev. Fr. De Hean
  18. Rev. Fr. Hebben
  19. Rev. Fr. Agboso
  20. Rev. Fr. Asomontsi
  21. Rev. Fr. Oduma
  22. Rev. Fr. I. K. Agoha
  23. Rev. Fr. Mathias Ganyo

 

OUTSTANDING PERSONALITIES IN THE VAKPO R. C. CHURCH

The following personalities have contributed to the growth and welfare of the catholic church at Vakpo fu.

  1. Emmanuel Adzayawo donated 2,000 cement blocks and (30) for the building of the mission House for resident priest.
  2. Togbui Apodi – very prominent in giving and donations to the Church in time of need.
  3. Anthony Siffah – The leader of the delegation who taught and was successful in getting a resident priest for Vakpo.
  4. Joseph Sor – he is a member of the church committee, voluntary catechist, choir leader and one-time acting head Christian in the church at Vakpo.
  5. Michael Deku – A strong member of the church committee and also a benevolent donor.
  6. Christian Siffah and Susana Baku – contributed to the fund for the construction of the mission house for the resident priests
  7. Andreas Kpanga Anyomi – he laid the foundation of the fund for the construction of mission house free of charge
  8. James Avekpe of Vakpo Todzi, Bonifectus Kufo of Vakpo Dotanyigbe, Emmanuel Adzayawo of Gboxome and Anthony Siffah of Vakpo Tesota jointly financed the purchased a set of Musical Instruments for Vakpo R. C. School.
  9. Bonifacture Kufe – give one bundle of zinc for roofing Mission House free of charge.

 

VERY IMPORTANT EVENTS

  1. The Rt. Rev. Francis Anani Lodonu, the first Ghanaian priest from this diocese who was ordained Bishop by his Holiness pope Paul vi in Rome first visit Vakpo in March, 1977/78.
  2. The late Rev. Father Fidelis Abotsi of Vakpo Gboxome, was the first native to be ordained priest on the 1st of July 1978. He said his first Mass here on the 2nd day of July 1976. He died after a month’s service to the diocese on the 4th of August, 1978.  He was buried together with the late Joseph sor who was the mission overseer for a long time on the 12th of August, 1978. May they rest in peace

 

CONCLUSION:

I owe great debt of gratitude to Rev. Father Ganyo Mathias for following me to go through the official documents of the Church for data.  I further extend my thanks to the following persons for helping me by words of mouth which enabled me to come to definite conclusions in writing this short history of the Church:- Madam Christiane Shiffah, Mr. Leo Dodoh, Mr. Fernand Ayittey, Mr. Casmir Ayitey, Mr. Stanslous Kotoku, Mr. Godfred Damaka, Mr. W. K. Ofori, Torgbui Awuro Iv, Mr. Nichodemus Dankutse, Madam Rosina Togbede and Mr. Elias Koku.

 

 

OUTLINE HISTORY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AT WUSUTA

HISTORY OF WUSUTA R. C. MISSION

The catholic church was founded at wusuta hot or by the late Gabriel Kwaku Dzata in 1907 during his school days at Kpando.  He first connected the Base 1 Missionaries but when a Catholic Priest Rev. Father Vitte came to Kpando he was convinced rather to establish the Catholic church at home-Wusuta.  He was assisted by the late Lawrence Amedier to do this work.

The first German teacher to be posted to the station was Daniel Kudu from Avatime Gbazeme.  A thatched shed was erected under which the small congregation assembled for catechism classes. After three years instructions the following members were baptized by Rev. Father Vitte in 1909.  The members were:- Moses Yao Kosipa (First Headchristian) Andreas Yaokuma Kosipa, Augustine Kwame Kodadza, Gabriel Kwami Amedior, Williams Anku Amedior, Regina Riasa Bani (First Christian Mother) Sophia Adzoatsitsia Bonie, Martin Yaotodoe Mottey, Johannes Amedior, Johannes Adzako, Monica Xatse, Paul Xatse, and Bernard Xatse.

The following teachers were also posted in succession to Wusuta during the german era.  Jacob Tenu from Fodome, Andreas Kissi from Aveme Danyigba, Joseph Adanuti from Kpando Tsakpe, after the first world War in 1918 when the British came, there was scarcity of English teachers.  The founder Gabriel Dzato heard of one Mr. Ben Dadzie at be louk.  He went all the way and succeeded in bringing him as the first English teacher in 1922.  Several teachers followed and the late Augustine Kwami Kodadza was one of the early Germans educated natives who led the church in teaching catechism assisted by Gabriel Amedior who also died in 1973.  Abigger swih church building which is the second was built in 1935.  The late Stanislaus Fofo from Fodome worked with Franz Dzsikpor Mottey who was the head Christian.  The next was Moses Yao Kosipa who was succeeded by Bonifactius/Attakojo from 1942 to 1945 a mighty chapel was built under the leadership of the late Alphense Ankuvie, Alex Kasalova Dzamfi and Paul Xatse.  In 1966 the fourth headchristian.  Clemence Mensa was elected to succed Binifatius Atakedzo for health reasons.  The following were the first Christian mothers of the church: - Regina Bani Riasa followed by Monica Afua Xatse.

The headchristian Clemence Mensah became old and weak and was replaced by Mr. Micheal Baku in July, 1978.  After the death of Monica Afua Xatse, Madam Odelia Kodadze was elected Christian mother in July, 1978.  The Catechist for the church in Mr. Emmanuel Tettey assisted by John Benuyena.  They were elected in 1966.

 

CATHOLIC CHURCH AT TSRUKPE DUKUMA

HISTORY OF TSRUKPE R. C. MISSION

The history of the Catholic Church at Tsrukpe Dukuma can be trace as far back as 1924.  “The Darkness is gone and a new era of civilization is with us.”  This was almost what the early members of this church seemed to have said when the efforts of Mr. James Assempah to bring the Catholic Church to Tsrukpe, became materialized.  The Rev. Father Emhart the then alien missionary in-charge of this ecclesiastical circuit, delegated the Rev. father Dogli (of Blessed Memory) to administer the sacrament of baptism to over 70 people on the 2nd of June, 1925.  They were the first to receive this sacrament in the then newly established church here.

The immeasurable and relentess efforts of the headchristian of the Vakpo mission, Sabastine Sor ( of Blessed memory) cannot pass without our commendation.

The first headchristian and his female counter-part were Joseph Akpa Dedu and Felicia Abra Akortor respectively.  The late Rev. Father Dogli, appointed William Konlakumah from Kpando Dzeanti as the first Catechist-teacher.

By the help of the then paramount chief of Tsrukpe, Torgbui Brampah Vll, a piece of land was acquired from Kwami Awusie on the the first, February, 1941, Witnesseses who appended their signatures included Stephen Yaawkumah, Lawrence Kofi, and the Catechist Michael A. S. Vormawor.

We wish to mention the first choir -leader, Paul Dzatch, for the work done to increase the numerical strength of the church in its early days and especially during the first rally of the church in 1940.

After the death of the first headchistian and the female counter-part, Sobo Kofi Francis took up as an interim leader of the church.  Later on, Stephen Yawokuma Anase was appointed headchritian and Matilda Koklotsua as the church mother by the parish priest.

The unity and solidarity displayed by the above leaders brought members under the umbrella of the first work-foreman, Samuel Osei, and his successor Robert Kumah.  Under then the first chapel was completed and dedicated to the service of the lord by the rev. Father ahonberign.  In 1942.

Mention need be made of Tefe Sobo, a pagan, Rapheal Hlo and Anthony Agbi, both members of Tsrukpe Total congregation of their tremendous contributions both in kind and in cash, in the building of the chapel.  We also need to mention Mathew Pani Duge, Simon Animdife and Michael Horlugah, who worked as catechists without any physical rewards.  We are grateful to them.

The following founding members also played varied roles in the upkeep of the church in its early days the late Michael Dedu, Andreas Nam, Anasthasius Satsi Gbede, Lawrence Dartey, Casmir Dugo and Oscar Tsakplaku, all males; Juliana Dordzi, Lydia Dordzi, Augustine Kodzokpo, Salomey Akangla, Sophia Amedeko, Veronica Edzosiwoe and Theresa Nyanku, to mention on just a few females.

The introduction of the CYO into the church in 1965 brought a new life and enthusiasm among the youth, for staring unity and Christian brotherliness among other CYO groups outside.  Leaders who were at the fore-front and the beginning include SQ Sobo, Mathew Dugo, Joseph Nyanku and Cecilia Fitti.  Under their leaderships the youth have been commandeered into active participation in church duties.

As a result of old age of the leaders, it was found necessary to appoint new leaders to assist the head Christian, the church mother and the work-forman. With the approval of the Parish Priest, Rev. Father Schetingal, Paul Akortso, grandson of the first church mother and Frida Osei daughter of the first church committee chairman were appointed in 1973.  At the same time Issac Dzagali was chosen as work-foreman.

The increasing membership of the church had started to pose problems so in 1975, plans to commence a new chapel, which could accommodate all members was started.  It the later part of that same year a foundation stone of the new chapel was laid opposite the old delapidated chapel.  Despite the zeal with which work started on this new project much is still left to bring it to completion.

It is however, our earnest hope that the changing of time will bring us into full solution of problems restarting progress of work.

“It is not the African who should be Christianized but is rather Christianity which should be Africanized”.  Life in the church has been re-kindled with the reformation of the church choir under the enviable leadership of Mr. Felix Komashie,  The role of the church choir and the CYO are new greatly inseparable from the church.  There is much diversification of work within the choir to bring it into line with the above quotation.  We are grateful to the choristers and hope to see more improvement in their performance within and without.

There is also the “Women Moderation”.  Our branch of the Catholic Women Federation”.  Under the leadership of the church Mother Frida Osei and her secretary Florence Donkor.

We are proud to say that our headchristian Stephen Anase played a major role in the establishment of the Catholic missions at both Tsarsor and Botoku respectively.

At the moment the affairs of the church are in the hands of the following who are members of the church Development Committee.

  1. Paul Akortse               (Chairman)
  2. Nicholas Animdife     (Senior Catechist)
  3. John Mensah               (Catechist)
  4. S. K. Amanu               (Catechist)
  5. S. O. Sobo                   (Vice Chairman)
  6. W. N. Darko               (Secretary)
  7. M. N. Dordzi              (Vice Secretary)
  8. Simon Animdife         (Treasuser)
  9. William Atikuma        (Work Forman)
  10. Bwn Amedoko            (Assistant)
  11. Alfred Dzasi               (Potter)
  12. Frida Osei                   (Church Mother
  13. Florence Donkor (Woman Secretary)

Our prayer is that our leaders may be faithful and diligent in the transaction of their duties.  We also pray for greater co-operation between the youth and the elder to enhance rapid growth and development of the church.  We here deeply remember all faithful departed.  May their souls rest in the loving peace of God.

We are grateful for your loving kindness, over the 56 years presence of your holy spirit among your people.

 

 

OUTLINE HISTORY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AT VAKPO FU

HISTORY OF VAKPO FU R. C. MISSION

The R. C. church at Fu was established by Head Christian Anestasius Amediemono, in 1940.  Ho was then a headchristian at Tsame – Atikpata.

In 1940, when he came home, he converted twelve people including his mother Paulina Idrisu and Mr. Joseph Opoku, who is now the assistant to the headchristian. The people were baptized at Vakpo Central by Rt. Rev. G Humberign.

The then head Christian at Vakpo central, Sabastian Sor helped the head Christian conduct church services on Sundays in his Mr. Amedienene’s house, at fu.

In 1945, Rt. Rev. Mgr. Paul Yawo encouraged the congregation to build a church which has roofed with thatch.

Madam Victoria Sonu became the first Christian Mother, in 1945.  Five years after, she left for Nsawam.  Madam Anna Amedience then became the second Christian mother, until her death in December, 1979.

In 1966 fifteen people of the faithful received the first communion at fu by Rev. father G. Hebben.  This group was taught by Mr. John Drawn Amedienence and Mr. Joseph Opoku.  In the same year sixteen people were confirmed at Vakpoo by his Lordship Rev. Bishop A Konings.

Later in 1966 Mr. John Brown Amedienene received the blessing as a catechist by Rt. Rev. Simon Agboso.  In September 1973 the R. C. church choir as formed by Mr. Sylvester, Vovobu.  Two months later, it extended to embrace members of the E. P. Church it became known as a united choir in 1974.

In 1977 sixteen people young and old were prepared to received the holy sacraments by Sylvester Vovobu and catechist John Brown. Rev. Father G. Hebben Baptised then and gave them first communion.

In January, 1979 seventeen people also received first communion. This group was also taught by Vovobu and J. Brown.

Rev. Father Matthias Sanyo gave the first communion.  Amonth after Rev. father Ganyo had a two-day retreat with twenty-one people of the faithful prior to his Lordship Bishop Lodonu’s arrival.

On February 13, 1979 the first Bishop stepped on the soils of fu.  This was followed by grand durber of all Christians and pagans at fu village.

On that day, twenty-one people were confirmed by his Lordship Bishop Lodonu.  At present the church has four bundles of corrugated iron sheets.  The church bought two bundles and the rest two were donated by the Bishop.

The population of the church as it stands today, is as follows:

  1. Children below six years are fourteen (14)
  2. School children are thirty-six
  3. Women are thirty-two
  4. Men are eighteen.

Thirty-six people are communicants.

 

OUTLINE HISTORY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN HAVE

HISTORY OF HAVE R. C.  MISSION:

The Catholic church has begun at Have in 1926 by rev. father A. O. Dogli who was then stationed at Liati.  A School was started by the first catechist teacher Mr. Kade Albert. pupils from Agate attended that school.  The first ‘Hamemega’ was the late Christian Tsetse Avedzi who was assisted by the late Jacob polo Avedzi.  The ‘Hamedada’ was madam Theresa Afetor who died in March 1979.

Mr. Dzokoto from Kpalime came in 1927 and taught classes 1 and 2 with 40 children.  On April 29, 1928, the first baptism was given by Rev. Father Leo Vatagee.

In 1952, Agate children stopped attending the Catholic school at Have.  Mr. Lirus Avedzi and Michael Ayi respectively became ‘Hamemega’ and catechist in 1948.

The present catechist since 1960. Is Mr. Emmanuel Dua.

 

 

GEOGRAPHICAL DATA

 

Name of Town

Vakpo 

Name of Parish

St. Peter The Apostle

Date of Foundation

1957

Parish Population (Catholics)

 

Number of Outstation

Please Provide Information on Separate Sheet

For Each Station Indicating Name, Patron Saint and Date of Foundation

 

 

Ten (10)

 

 

                       

l.          Wusuta

2.         Tsrukpe

3.         Botoku Tove

4.         Tsoxor

5.         Dunyo

6.         Vakpo Todzi

7.         Vakpo New Adomi

8.         Vakpo Aneta

9.         vakpo Fu

10.       vakpo Konda

 

 

 

 

 

PERSONAL DATA

Name of Parish Priests

Fr. Francis Mensah-Agbaku

Names(s) of assistant(s)

Fr. Francis Kofi Akoto

No. of Paid Catechists

 

No. of voluntary Catechists

22

Other paid workers

1.     One (cook)

2.     One (day) Security Officer

   
   

                         

                       

 

PASTORAL ACTIVITIES MAIN PARISH - VAKPO

There are both primary and secondary evangelization in the main station. Both old and young are evangelized into the church. The church has concern for the school. Teaching of the faith is done for the students and pupils at school and in the church. School Mass is celebrated often with teaching before Mass. Various committees are put in place for the growth of the school, P.T.A. and S.M.C. and consequently meeting and supervisions. Structures are also provided for the schools.

Daily celebration of the Holy Mass goes on, so with frequent adoration of the Eucharist. The other sacraments are celebrated with due catechesis for both children and adults with concentration on the recipients. There is frequent visit to the sick and the aged in their homes and hospitals. Financial and other materials are used to support the sick and aged and extended to other needy people and organizations that call on the church. Pontifical Mission week and laity and catechetical weeks are celebrated. Devotional prayers, May and October rosary are encouraged. The associations have their days in the week when they attend Holy Mass before or after their devotions. There is search for financial support for the church. There is the Alternative Dispute Resolution working in the church. Finally, the church gives much respect to the dead and bereaved families when death occurs.

PASTORAL ACTIVITIES

OUT STATIONS

Celebration of the word and Sacraments, observing

Holy Hour 

Eucharistic Adoration and the observance of the Liturgical calendar.

Devotional Prayers go no and the associations hold meetings.

Teaching of catechism and church doctrines,

Visitation to the sick and aged in their homes.

School Mass and visit to the schools for assessment.

ASSOCIATIONS

  1. Sacred Heart of Jesus
  2.  St. Anthony Guild
  3. Perpetual Help of Mary
  4. Legion of Mary
  5. Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O)
  6. Catholic Youth Action
  7. Choirs
  8. Catholic Women Association
  9. Catholic Men Fellowship
  10. Knights and Ladies of the Altar
  11. Charismatic Renewal

 

CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF HO

PARISH PROFILE

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH   VAKPO ST. PETER'S CHURCH

PATRON SAINT          ST. PETER THE APOSTLE

DATE OF FOUNDATION     1911

CATHOLIC POPULATION FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTY (480)

No, OF CATECHISTS           FOUR (4)

 

EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS / FACILITIES

  1. Kindergarten
  2. Primary School
  3. Junior High School (J.H.S)

 

 LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. Church and School land (Site Plan)

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Mission House
  2. Church Building
  3. Boys quarters
  4. J.H.S. School Workshop
  5. Primary School block (Six Classrooms)
  6. J.H.S. block, office tutor's Hall and conference Hall
  7. Church Bello

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1.  Office complex for church administration 85% completed
  2. I.C.T. Building at foundation level
  3. J.H. S. Block — 3 classrooms — Roofing level
  4. New Mission House???

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Consecration of the church
  2. Re—roofing of the Mission House
  3. Construction of conference Centre (summer hat)
  4. Construction of Toilet Facilities
  5. Social Centre (Provision)
  6. Water Reservoir (Water tank)

 

PARISH PROFILE

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH       WUSUTA ST. MICHAEL'S C. CHURCH   

PATRON SAINT        ST. MICHAEL THE ARCH-ANGEL

DATE OF FOUNDATION    21 ST MAY 1903

CATHOLIC POPULATION    THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY (350)

  1. OF CATECHISTS THREE (3)

 

EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS/ FACILITIES

  1. Kindergarten
  2. Primary Schools (A & B)
  3. Junior High School

 

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

Church and School Land — Three Hundred and Fifty Feet by Four Hundred Feet (350' X 400')

(Not Documented)

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Un-completed Church Building - Roofed.
  2. Store Room
  3. Church Bell
  4. School Building
  5. School Canteen

 

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Church Building — Roofed but No Walls.
  2. Primary 'A' School Block at Roofing level.
  3. Kitchen for the School Feeding Programme.

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Construction of Mission House.
  2. Construction of Junior High School Block.
  3. Plans for a Resident Priest.
  4. Establishment of a Senior High School.

OTHER REMARKS

 

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH    DUKUMA, ST. JOSEPH

PATRON SAINT ST. JOSEPH WORKER DATE OF FOUNDATION 1924

CATHOLIC POPULATION           Three Hundred (300)

  1. OF CATECHISTS Two (2)

 

EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS / FACILITIES

  1. Kindergarten
  2. Primary School

 

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. Church and School land (site plan)
  2. No Documentation.

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Chapel
  2. Priest's Residence

 

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Tiling the floor of the chapel.
  2. Church Hall — lentil level.
  3. Renovation of Priest's Residence.

             

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Construction of Teacher's Bungalow
  2. Re—Roof1ng of the Chapel (in bad shape)

OTHER REMARKS

We need financial support.

 

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH     BOTOKU TOVE, ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

PATRON SAINT      ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

DATE OF FOUNDATION 1935

CATHOLIC POPULATION           Two HUNDRED (200)

  1. OF CATECHISTS ONE (1)

 

EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS / FACILITIES

  1. Kindergarten
  2. Primary School

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. One Acre of land release by Agba Family to the Church
  2. No Documentation officially.

 

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Church
  2. Primary School Building
  3. Priest Residence.

 

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Priest Residence roofed
  2. Chapel Renovation.

 

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Upgrading the basic school (KG—PRIM) to J.H.S. level
  2. Bungalow for headteacher / Staff
  3. Citrus fruit plantation,

 

 NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH TSOXO ST. PAUL

PATRON SAINT      ST. PAUL

DATE OF FOUNDATION 1929    

CATHOLIC POPULATION           ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY (150)

  1. OF CATECHISTS TWO (2)

 

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. 2 h Acres
  2. No Documentation

             

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Church Building

 

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

1, Renovation of Chapel

 

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Re-Roofing
  2. Construction of Priest's Residence

 

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH     VAKPO DUNYO ST. MARY'S C. CHURCH

PATRON SAINT      ST. MARY - MOTHER OF GOD     

DATE OF FOUNDATION 1964

 CATHOLIC POPULATION ONE HUNDRED AND TEN (110)

  1. OF CATECHISTS ONE (1)

             

EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS/ FACILITIES

1.

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

 

 

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Chapel
  2. Catechist's House

 

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Finishing of Catechist's House - Roofed

 NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH VAKPO TODZI ST. FIDELIS CATHOLIC CHURCH.

PATRON SAINT      ST. FIDELIS

DATE OF FOUNDATION 27TH DECEMBER 1988

CATHOLIC POPULATION           ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR (104)

  1. OF CATECHISTS THREE (3)

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. 241' x 245' Church Land
  2. No Document

 

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Chapel

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Work on Chapel — Doors and Painting

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

1          Mission House

  1. Fence round the Land
  2. Planting of Fruit Trees
  3. Water Reservoir

 

 

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH VAKPO NEW, ADOMI, ST. MATTHEW C.

PATRON SAINT      ST. MATTHEW

DATE OF FOUNDATION  1980   

CATHOLIC POPULATION           NINETY- FIVE (95)

  1. OF CATECHISTS TWO (2)

 

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. Three Acres
  2. No Documentation.

 

INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Chapel.

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Completion of Chapel — (Roofed).

 

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Building of sacristy
  2. Priest's Residence
  3. Retrieval of Basic School from the administration of District Assembly to the

            R.C Church.

 

 

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH VAKPO ANETA ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC

PATRON SAINT      ST, JOSEPH

DATE OF FOUNDATION 21 ST AUGUST 1989

CATHOLIC POPULATION           EIGHTY (80)

  1. OF CATECHISTS TWO (2)

 

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. Six (6) building plots without document.

INFRASTRUCTURES 

  1. Chapel

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Chapel — at the stage of furnishing, screeding the floor, plastering
  2. Windows and door fixing

 

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Putting up of mission house, KVIP and Urinal
  2. Fencing the entire plot with a wall.

 

 

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH VAKPO FU ST. JOHN'S   CATHOLIC

PATRON SAINT    ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST

DATE OF FOUNDATION   8TH MAY 1940

CATHOLIC POPULATION   SIXTEEN (16)      

  1. OF CATECHISTS One (1)

 

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

  1. Four Acres.
  2. No Documentation.

 INFRASTRUCTURES

  1. Chapel.

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

  1. Furnishing of the Chapel.

 

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Construction of Priest's Residence.

 

 

NAME OF TOWN & CHURCH     VAKPO KONDA, ST. MICHAEL R. C. CHURCH PATRON SAINT ST. MICHAEL THE ARCH-ANGEL

 DATE OF FOUNDATION 1979

CATHOLIC POPULATION 

  1. OF CATECHISTS ONE (1)

 

 

LAND (INDICATE THE STATUS OF DOCUMENTATION)

 

INFRASTRUCTURES

 

ON-GOING PROJECTS (INDICATE THE STAGE REACHED)

 

FUTURE PLANS FOR THE STATION

  1. Acquisition of land for chapel
  2. Chapel construction

 

 

 

IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY PARISH, SHIA

Before the arrival of the Roman Catholic Church in Shia, the lay faithful used to worship in the then German Territory of Kpalime in the Republic of Togo.

On the 15th day of February 1911, Rev. Fr. Eickman, the then residence Priest at Kpalime R.C Church sent Mr. John Tameklo to Shia. He then selected four (4) persons each from the four clans in Shia.

On the day of 17th November 1911, these four persons came back with Rev. Fr. Eickman to establish the Roman Catholic Church at Shia- Afedo with the population of seventy-Nine (79). The first Catechist was Godfred Havitse from Gbalavi-Togo. Later, Christian Foli took over as the first native Catechist.

 The first Head Christian was the late Mr. Joseph Amey. Mr. Joseph Keme and Mary Togo were the first lay faithful to be baptized. The first Christian mother was Lucy Numenawo.

 The Church was declared a Parish on Sunday the 7th of July 1957; the first Parish Priest was Rev. Fr. C.S. Tucker. He named the Parish, Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish-Shia, with thirteen (13) outstations namely:

 

  1. All Saints Catholic Church, Tokokoe
  2. St. Peter's Catholic Church, Nyive
  3. St. Francis Catholic Church, Tanyigbe - Dzafe
  4. Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Tanyigbe - Atidze
  5. St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Hodzo Ga
  6. Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Hodzo Aviefe
  7. St. Mary's Catholic Church, Hodzo Alavanyo
  8. St. Joseph Catholic Church, Atikpui
  9. St. Peter’s Catholic Church, Avee
  10. St. Michael Catholic Church, Lume Ge/Kpodoave
  11. St. Aloysius Catholic Church, Lume Atsyame
  12. Holy Family Catholic Church, Hoe
  13. Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Klave; with Shia being the main station. Later on two outstations were added namely:
  14. St. Francis Catholic Church, Awuiasu
  15. St. Peter's Catholic Church, Hodzo Achanse.

 

The parish celebrated her Golden Jubilee of the creation of Shia as a parish in 2007

The Parish celebrated her Centenary Anniversary on the 17th of November 2011.

 The first native Priest Rev. Fr. Evaristus Amegadzi was ordained on the 19th of July 1970. The first Religious Sister Rose Sumah, took her first vow on 8th March 1967. Sister Lucy Hometowu of Shia became the 1st Religious Medical Doctor of the Diocese. The Parish has produced about Sixteen Catholic Priests for the Diocese and other Religious Congregations

 The present chapel was built in the year 1970 during the tenure of the late Rev. Fr. Adolph Amexo by a native building contractor Mr. Lawson Casmir.

The current Parish Priest is Rev. Fr. Raphael Tawiah with Rev Fr. James Obiri-Pongo.