HOT Justice - шаблон joomla Книги

Geographical and Social Description of the Area
Ho Diocese is located in the Volta Region of Ghana and constitutes ten Administrative Districts, namely: Ho, Kpando and Hohoe municipal areas. Others include, North Dayi, South Dayi, Adaklu, Agortime-Ziope, Ho-West, Afadjato-South Districts and parts of Asuogyaman District in the Eastern Region.  The Diocese lies within longitudes 12'E and 0 53'E; and latitudes 6 20'N.  The Jasikan District lies in the North of the Ho Diocese while it is bordered in the East by the Republic of Togo.  The Southern border is shared with Akatsi and North Tongu Districts while the Volta Lake forms the Western boundary. Ho Diocese covers a total land area of 5893 square kilometers. It is divided into twenty-nine Parishes. The vegetation of the diocese is a mix of guinea savannah woodland, forest and forest-savannah transitional zones.  The savannah woodlands consist of tall grass with scattered trees including acacia, bamboo and baobabs.  

Political:

Ghana has a democratically elected government after 40 years of political instability notably, from 1966 – 1992.  The 1992 Constitution ties in Economic, Cultural, Educational, Women and Children's rights alongside the traditional civic, political and private property rights.  Freedom of expression is in all spheres of life including religion and political participation and is enshrined in the Constitution.  This is demonstrated by decentralized administrative and political structure.  As a result, there are ten regions and about 260 Administrative Districts, which emphasize devolving power from the Centre to the lower levels.  Establishment of National Council of Churches and National Catholic Secretariat cater for religious expression of Churches and ecclesial bodies, which structures are represented at regional and local levels.  At community level, the Chiefs, together with the Town Development Committee and Unit committee headed by the Assemblyman, the needs of the community are effectively planned and executed.

Economic:
The socio-economic life of the people in the diocese is very poor.  The total population (2010) of the Volta Region is 2,118,252 while that of the Ho Diocese (which extends to 10 districts) is about 789,664 which is about 37% of the total population of the Volta Region.  The population of Catholics in the Ho Diocese is about 450,000. Agriculture is the main stay of the economy and more than 70% of the total population is heavily engaged in it, with a few number of people engaged in fishing and livestock rearing. The major access to land is inheritance, although renting, leasing and share cropping also require land.  Farm size is usually small just enough to cater for domestic use.  Crops cultivated include maize, rice, cassava, cocoyam, yam, plantain, tomatoes, pepper, okro, garden eggs, cocoa and oil palm. Women constitute about 57% of population in the Volta Region and many of them are engaged in petty trading and artisanal businesses such as tailoring, baking, kente weaving including buying and selling. Women form 52%, children constitute about 45% of the total Catholic population.  The teeming Youth (0 – 59 years) constitutes about 44.8% while about 10% comprises adults aged over 60 years.

Developmental Challenges of the Ho Diocese
The demographic analysis as indicated above shows that women, children and youth constitute the majority of the workforce. The developmental challenges facing the Ho Diocese, are sluggish growth of Micro and Small Scale Enterprises in generating economic activities locally, inadequate school building for basic schools, increasing number of jobless youth and out-of-school youth, modest increase of HIV/AIDS prevalence in communities, incredible constraints in accessing credits for business expansion and marginalization of women, widows and orphans in education (by gender parity in schools), low level of  community participation and lack of access to productive resources such as land and intestate inheritance problems.

Ho Diocese has total population of 789,664 and 254,842 constitutes the population in the rural communities while 534,822 resides in the urban area (2000 population and Housing census). With 67.7% of the population residing in the rural communities; implies that development interventions need to be targeted at the rural communities and poor but productive women in the urban centers too in order to ensure equitable distribution of development efforts, and in particular, to considerably reduce migration of the youth from rural areas to urban area for job avenues.

Lack of financial assistance to undertake private or group project activities increase poverty at the rural communities.  Access to good food and basic health care become very difficult and this has spiral effect on productivity.  Nonetheless, rural communities understand the lack of cooperation and conflicts as major causes of sluggish pace of development which prolong incidence of poverty in the rural areas. Unlike, the urban parts of the diocese, where basic social services like schools, hospitals, financial institutions, good roads, formal legal institutions abound, the targeted rural communities do not have such adequate facilities.

To mitigate the slow pace of development in the project area, capacity building, quality education and microfinance especially for women have been identified as key elements in addressing the sluggish pace of development.  Skill training in small and business management, communication techniques and changing gender parity in schools in favour of girl-child education resulting in the high performance in mathematics, science, English and social studies can improve technological development of the communities in the Ho Diocese.

Department of women affairs, Regional and District Directorates of Education of the Ghana Education Service, the community Leaders collaborate to build capacity of all stakeholders on the importance of girls education for rapid development in deprived schools in the Ho Diocese.

 

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN THE DIOCESE OF HO IN THE VOLTA REGION OF GHANA

The history of Ho Diocese takes its origins from the Vicariate of Dahomey (the present day Benin), and the Vicariate of the Gold Coast, part of which became the Diocese of Keta. Keta Diocese in turn became the Diocese of Keta – Ho and Ho became the Episcopal See of Keta – Ho Diocese.  And in our times on the 19th day of December, 1994, Keta –Ho Diocese (Co-terminus with the Volta Region) was divided into three Dioceses with Ho Diocese in the Center, Jasikan Diocese in the north of Ho Diocese and Keta –Akatsi Diocese in the South, all in the Volta Region of Ghana.
Panorama History from Vicariate of Lower Volta 15th March 1923 to 18th April 1950 (Keta Diocese)
One Hundred and Forty – Six years ago the whole territory from the River Volta to River Niger and from the Atlantic Coast to Sudan was under the Pro-Vicariate of Dahomey established on 28th August, 1860.
On that same day (28th August, 1860) the Vicariate of Dahomey was assigned to the Society of African Missions (S.M.A) which was established on 8th December, 1856 with headquarters in Lyon, France.
Fr. Pierre Augustine Plangue, SMA Superior General sent the first two priests to Ouidah (Dahomey).  They arrived there on April 19, 1861.  From the Ouidah Mission, the Missionaries visited Keta as one of their outstations from where the “pedes apostolorum” ventures of evangelization spread through the Lower Volta.
Pope Leo XIII erected the prefecture Apostolic of the Gold coast (now Ghana) on September 27, 1879 and the first two SMA Fathers Auguste Murreau and Eugene Murat landed in Elmina on 8th May 1880.
In 1882, Lagos became Apostolic Vicariate with territory covering Dahomey and Togo covering practically the present day Volta Region extending to Yendi, Tatale, Bimbila, Saboba, Chereponi, Gushiegu and further North to Bumpurugu, Garu and Bawku in the present day Upper East Region of Ghana.

Two SMA Missionaries Michael Wade (Irish) and Jean – Baptiste Thuet (a Frenchman from Alsace) were sent from Elmina, Prefecture Apostolic of the Gold Coast.  They arrived in Keta on 25th May 1890 as the first resident priests.
A Papal decree dated 19th May, 1894 transferred the territory of the Lower Volta from the Prefecture Apostolic of Dahomey to the    Prefecture Apostolic of the Gold Coast.  Thus Keta Mission and its surroundings were separated from Dahomey Prefecture.  Thus in exception of Keta and its southern surrounding, the Northern Sector which was formerly British Togoland remained what became Apostolic Prefecture of Togo (erected 12th April 1892) assigned to the German Divine word Missionaries (Societas Verbi Divini SVD).
The Southern Sector i.e. the lower Volta was under the political rule of Denmark headquartered at Keta.  The then Northern Sector was ruled by Germany.
In 1892, the German S.V.D. Missionaries based in Lome and Kpalime undertook the evangelization of the northern Sector and worked mainly in (Kpando and Gbi – Bla, Hohoe) in what is now Ho Diocese. In 1902 the Divine Word Missionaries assigned to Kpalime Parish in Togo opened outstations at Gbi-Bla, Liati, Fodome Xelu and Fodome Axor.
In 1903, stations were opened at Kpando Dzogbesianti, Lolobi Ashiambi (Akrowa) and Likpe Avedzeme were opened.
In almost everywhere that we find a Catholic church today in what is now Ho Diocese, it was the laity sometimes yet to be baptized persons who initially gathered the people together into ekklesia (church community) and walked long distances to invite a priest to come and officially open the church.
In 1904, Rev. Father Anthony Witte became the resident priest at Kpando. In that same year 1904, Gbi Atabu station was opened.
In the year 1905the following stations were opened.
Alavanyo Dzogbedze, Alavanyo Agorxoe, Sovie, Aveme Danyigba, Teteman Buem now a parish in Jasikan Diocese.

In 1906, Rev. Father Herring became the resident priest at Gbi Bla. In the same year a school was opened at Likpe Mate.

In 1907, Ho Bankoe Mission Station was visited by Rev. Fathers Kockers and Eichman from Kpalime parish.  The following stations were opened in 1907.
Tokokoe, Atikpui, Agbenoxoe, Leklebi Agbesia, Logba Vuinta, Gbefi
In 1908 was a fruitful year like the previous years.  In 1908 saw the opening of the following stations.
Nkonya now in Jasikan Diocese (co-created with Keta-Akatsi on 19th December 1994).
Hodzo, Gbledi, Tafi Atome, Leklebi Dafor, Logba, Aflao School (now in Keta-Akatsi Diocese.
In the same year 1908, the famous St. Francis Training College, Hohoe was opened by the German S.V.Ds at Gbi-Bla to train Teacher-Catechists and Seminarians under the title of St. Augustine’s College.  In 1911 it was closed down and moved to Agbedrafor in Togo.  It was brought back to Gbi-Bla in 1912 and closed down again because of the First World War (1914 – 1918).  In 1929, the college was opened again (now under the SMA Missionaries) at Gbi-Bla as a rural Training Center which was transformed into a training college in January 1931 and officially opened by Bishop Augustine Herman, SMA.  The college had 18 students.
The Principal was Rev. Fr. Joseph Gerald, SMA, (BA, H.Dip. Ed) who was ordained Titular Bishop of Ammaedara and Vicar Apostolic of the Lower Volta on 13th October, 1946 in the Cathedral of Cork, Ireland.
The history of St. Francis Training College continued to repeat itself when in 1934 the college was once closed down and relocated in Amisano near Elmina.  Under the direction of Bishop J.G Holland, St. Francis Training College was reopened as a Two-Year Certificate ‘B’ Teacher training College on 14th February, 1947 at Gbi-Bla, Hohoe its God-given place of birth never to be closed down again.
In 1909, the following stations were opened:
Anfoega Wademaxe, Anfoega Agatanyigbe, Fodome Amle, Asato (now outstation of Kadjebi parish, Jasikan Diocese).
In 1911 at various times the following stations were opened: Shia (became a parish in 1957 with 15 outstations) Hoe, Likpe, Bala. Likpe Bakwa.

In 1912 the Sisters of Our Lady of Apostles (O.L.A.) founded in 1876 by Fr. Pierre Augustin the co-founder of the Society of African Missions (SMA Fathers), opened a convent and a school for girls at Keta. Dzodze School was opened in the same year.
In the same year Sisters Convent was opened at Kpando and stations were opened at Awate (now in Anfoega Parish) and Avee (now in Shia Parish).
Anfoega Akukome (became SS, Peter and Paul Parish in 1955 with 16 outstations) Taviefe Deme and Lume were also opened in 1913 as stations.
In 1914, the First World War broke out in Europe and the war was taken to West and East Africa with catastrophic consequences.  The war ended on 11th November, 1918.  The British took over Togoland, a colony of their enemies.
In 1917, the British forces captured the German Missionaries working at the three major stations at Denu, Kpando and Gbi-Bla and were taken under military escort to Lome and shipped to England as prisoners of war.  It was a sorrowful day.  Miserable to behold.  The German Missionaries were weeping and the faithful were wailing and crying.  In tears they sung a hymn to the Blessed Virgin Mary (Dzifomo Yeyea No. 172). What an appropriate hymn. The ship sailed off and disappeared at the horizon.
Not a single missionary was left for they were all Germans.  All the three parishes and numerous stations were left without any priests.  But the word of God could not be imprisoned nor deported from Togoland. During their 25 years of evangelization the German SVD Missionaries had 8,000 Catholics.
Bishop Ignatius Hummel, SMA ordained Bishop of the Vicariate-Apostolic of the Gold Coast residing at Cape Coast was appointed Apostolic Administrator of the part of former German Togoland occupied by British forces.  There were no priests to take care of the affected blossoming parishes (Denu, Kpando and Gbi-Bla) and their many outstations when the war and the French SMA priests and seminarians serving in the army were either killed or lost in action.
The pastoral vacuum created by the First World War (1914-1918) was filled by Teacher-Catechists and many other lay people who did remarkable apostolate of lay ministers.  (1917-1921) Notable among the teacher catechists was Mr. Emmanuel Lodonu of Gbi-Atabu whose son Francis Kofi Anani Lodonu was ordained Auxiliary Bishop in 1973 and became the first native Ghanaian Bishop of Keta – Ho Diocese on 15th August, 1976. 
Another famous Teacher –Catechist who held the fort in Kpando and neighbouring stations was Mr. Eusebius Klay of Kpando Tsakpe.  Mr. Francis Sika of Gbi-Bla a disciple of the first Missionaries kept the light of faith shining at Gbi-Bla.  The torch bearer teacher-catechist in Denu and environs was Mr. Paul Kofi Vudu of Denu, Mr. Cosmos d’Almeida, a teacher – catechist held the fort at Keta. 
These and many other lay people kept the lamp burning.  They taught catechism, conducted services “in the absence” of a priest; they baptized the new – born and adults in articulo mortis (in danger of death) and witnessed marriages and buried the dead.
In 1921, S.M.A. Missionaries began to arrive for the Keta mission and the parishes (Denu, Kpando and Gbi-Bla) and their surrounding stations started by the SVD Missionaries were put under the care of the SMAs.  The first two SMA Fathers: Jean – Baptist Thuet and Erhard arrived at Kpando as resident priests.
Anastasius Odaye Dogli was ordained a priest on 12th July 1922 at Cape Coast by Bishop Ignatius Hummel.  He was born at Baglo Buem (now in Jasikan Diocese in 1880.  He started as a “pupil teacher” and was lawfully married and blessed with one daughter and became one of the first students of the Teacher-Catechist Training College opened by the German SVD Fathers.  When the Germans were deported in 1917 he resumed the formation under the SMA Fathers in the Bishop’s House at Cape Coast.  Fr. Dogli’s first appointment was Kpando (as Parish Priest). 
The Late  Rev. Monsignor Paul Yao was one of his Mass boys at Kpando.  Fr. Dogli, a powerful preacher and man of frustrated initiatives was transferred to Gbi-Bla in 1927 with the mandate to open up the vineyard in the Buem area and in 1929 he was appointed Parish Priest of Jasikan.  In 1935 he was transferred to Dzelukope.  From 1944 to the time of his retirement to Baglo his hometown he was itinerary retreat preacher in parts of the Gold coast, Togo, Benin and Nigeria.  He died on May 28th 1970 in Baglo.
Lower Volta Apostolic Vicariate 1923:
The Catholic Church in the Lower Volta (now Volta Region) was founded in Keta in 1890 by SMA Fathers from Dahomey.  In 1894, it was annexed to the Cape Coast Vicariate.  Pope Pius XI (1922-1939) created the Vicariate on 15th of March 1923 and entrusted it to the Dutch Province of the S.M.A.

The Apostolic Vicariate of the Lower Volta comprised the territory of the English Togoland and Keta and Denu parishes which were formerly part of the Gold Coast Vicariate headquartered in Cape Coast. The Lower Volta Apostolic Vicariate extended from the South East corner of the Volta river estuary as far North as Bimbila, Yendi and Bawku.  The Volta River formed the boundary between the LOWER VOLTA Vicariate and the Vicariate of the Gold Coast.  While a Prefecture Apostolic is a territory or a Diocese headed by a superior, a Vicariate Apostolic or a Diocese headed by an ordained Bishop.

Bishop Augustine Herman’s Era (1923 – 1945)
Rev. Fr. Augustine Herman, SMA was born at Turckheim in Alsace Strasbourg on 18th December, 1879.  He studied in SMA Seminaries in Holland and Ireland and was ordained priest in 1902.  He taught for a year and was sent to Nigeria in 1904 working mainly in the districts of Ijebu and Ikiti.  During the First World War he was attached to the English, French and native forces as a Chaplain in Cameroon.  He was mobilized into military service in Europe and returned to Nigeria after the World War I.  It was in Nigeria that he was appointed to head the newly created Lower Volta Apostolic Vicariate and Consecrated Bishop at Strasbourg, Alsace in France on 13th June 1923 as Titular Bishop of Bubastis. 
The motto on his Coat of Arms is: “Sicut Miles Christi” (“As a soldier of Christ”) (cfr. 2 Timothy 2:3).  He arrived in Keta on 23rd October, 1923 as the first bishop of the Lower Volta apostolic Vicariate and after 6 days started pastoral visit of the central parishes and outstations on bicycle from Keta to Krachi.    He was a classical text book example of a holy untiring pastoral Bishop.  He spent two or three days in almost every station, visiting the homes and the sick, teaching catechism, celebrated mass, heard confessions and examined candidates for Baptism (adults) and Confirmation.  He was led and propelled by the Holy Spirit.  He combined pastoral work with school education which he considered as an invaluable instrument of evangelization and development.  He founded over 2000 Catholic Schools in a short period of time.
During his many time, new stations were opened including the following in the present day Ho Diocese in 1924.  Gbi - Bla (first time after the 2nd World War) and Ho got permanent resident priests. Gbefi Tornu, Kpando Dafor and Alavanyo Abehenease were opened in 1924.
In 1925, twenty five stations were opened in the Vicariate including the following stations in Ho Diocese.  Alavanyo Wudidi, Kpando Fesi, Anfoeta Tsebi, Peki Adzokoe, Sokode Gbogame, Klave, Trsukpe, Tsyome,  Aveme Beme, Vuinta.
In 1926 a Minor Seminary was opened at Kpando.  In the same year 1926, the Little Servants of the Sacred Heart (Menton Sisters) opened a convent and a dispensary in Kpando.  They taught catechism and visited the aged and the sick in their homes.  They were dedicated to the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.  They later on opened dispensaries at Dzodze (1934) and at Abor.
In 1926 the following stations were opened: Saviefe, Vane, Have, Gbi Wegbe, Wli Todzi, Fodome Woe.
In 1927, nine stations were opened in the Vicariate including: Tanyigbe in Ho Diocese.
In 1928, stations were opened at Kpedze (which became a parish in 1986 with 20 outstations) Adaklu Wayanu, Peki   Woadze, Agate, Nyagbo and Botoku.
In January, 1931, Bishop Herman officially re-opened the Training College at Gbi-Bla headed by Rev. Fr. Joseph Gerald Holland, SMA for the formation of Teacher – Catechists.
IN 1934, OLA Sisters opened a Boarding School for girls at Gbi-Bla, and the Training College at Gbi-Bla closed down once more and the students were sent to Amisano near Elmina.
In 1935, Likpe station got her first resident priest in the person of Rev. Fr. Francis Hertzig.
The Second World War (1939 – 1945) disrupted the work of evangelization.  New missionaries could not come in and those already here could not go home on holidays.
The Death of Bishop Augustine Herman: Sunday, 8th April 1945 at 7.15p.m.
Bishop Augustine Herman was consecrated Bishop on June 13th 1923 in Strasbourg, France.  On October 11, 1923 he landed on the shore of Gold Coast at Sekondi and went to present himself to Bishop Ignatius Hummel, Vicar Apostolic in charge of the Gold Coast and administrator of the Lower Volta Vicariate.  He continued his journey by boat and landed in Lome, Togo on 23rd October 1923 and proceeded to Keta on the same day. 
After three days, faithful to his Motto “As a Soldier of Christ”, Bishop Herman made a reconnaissance pastoral visit of 16 days on foot and bicycle from Keta through Anyako, Abor, Adaklu – Ahunda, Ho, Peki, Kpando and Kete – Krachi.
Bishop Herman’s apostolic work cannot be quantified neither by numerical facts nor statistics.  In Bishop Lodonu’s words, Bishop Herman “transformed the whole of the Vicariate of the Lower Volta” (Information on Ho Diocese, Ghana 2006)
On March 16, 1945 Bishop Herman wrote to his flock: “as the bad state of my health does not allow me to continue the administration of the Vicariate, I give my resignation letter today and appoint Rev. Fr. James Verheugd to be pro-vicar with all powers attached to this title”.
He was booked to leave by boat to Europe from Lome on 8th April, 1945. He was given a grand farewell on Easter Monday, 2nd April 1945.  In Lome, his condition became worse and was taken to the hospital on Saturday, 7th April 1945.  His confrere Rev. Fr. Riebstein from the same town as Bishop Herman administered the Sacrament of the Sick.
Mr. Gerald Asomontsi of Teteman, the Bishop’s faithful Driver, Cook, Catechist and interpreter was by him praying when Bishop Augustine Herman died on the first Sunday of Easter, 8th April 1945 at 7.15 p.m. in Lome.  The Body was brought to Keta on 9th April, 1945 and buried in the right side chapel of St. Michael’s Cathedral at Keta.
Bishop Augustine Herman was Bishop of the Lower Apostolic Vicariate for 22 years
(1923 – 1945).

BISHOP JOSEPH GERALD HOLLAND, SMA
Bishop Joseph Gerald Holland, SMA succeeded Bishop Augustine Herman in 1946.  J.G Holland was born in Liverpool in 1903 and was ordained priest in1928.  He was appointed Principal of St. Francis Training College at Gbi-Bla in January, 1931.  On 18th July, 1946, Rev. Fr. J.G. Holland was appointed titular Bishop of Ammaedara and Vicar Apostolic of the Lower Volta.  He was consecrated Bishop on 13th October 1946 in Cork, Ireland.

Bishop Holland arrived in Keta on 18th January, 1947 and took over the administration of the Vicariate from Very Rev. Theodore Veldboer, S.M.A., who was then the Pro-Vicar of the Vicariate.  On February 2, 1947, he celebrated a pontifical High Mass at Keta followed by a guard official reception.  Five days later he started his apostolic mission which took him from Keta to Abor, Denu, Ho, and Kete-Krachi. He visited Kpando on February 15, 1947 and Hohoe the next day.
During the time of Bishop J.G. Holland, St. Francis Teacher Training College was re-opened (1947) never to be closed again.  The following parishes were opened: Papase (1948), Nkonya Wurupong (1950).
In 1950, Bishop J.G. Holland went home on sick leave to Britain. Fr. Anthony Konings, S.M.A., Pro-Vicar was holding the fort.
The Apostolic Vicariate of the Lower Volta became Keta Diocese:
On the 18th of April, 1950, a Papal Bull or document from the Pope established the hierarchy of British West Africa.  Consequently, the four vicariates in the Gold Coast became four Dioceses: of Keta, Tamale, Kumasi and Accra.  The Vicariate of Cape Coast was declared an Archdiocese. This meant that the Catholic Church in the Gold coast in 1950 was of age and would be led by its own Bishops in accordance with the laws of the Universal Church in union with the Pope.  It would no longer be a ward of the Church evangelized as Mission and administered from lands afar overseas.
The Bishops of the Gold Coast did not know of the Good News until May 1950 when they all went to Rome on official visit “Ad Limina”. It also meant that the Bishops were titular Bishops of their territories.
On 31st May, 1952 Bishop J.G. Holland was enthroned in his private Chapel as the First Bishop of Keta Diocese.  The ceremony was performed by Archbishop William Porter of cape Coast in the presence of Fr. Anthony Konings, Vicar General and Fr. Cornelius Breukel, Parish Priest of Dzelukope.
Bishop J.G. Holland was no longer Titular Bishop of Ammaedara but Bishop of Keta.  In fact he was the first Bishop of the Diocese of Keta.  And St. Michael the Archangel Church at Keta became the Cathedral Church. And the Pro-Vicar (Fr. A. Konings) became Vicar General.

The ailing Bishop J.G. Holland returned home to Europe in 1952 and his resignation was received by the Sacred Congregation of the Propagation of the Faith on June 4th 1953.  Bishop J.G. Holland died in Liverpool on 14th April 1972 at the age of 67.
The Very Rev. Anthony Konings was appointed Apostolic Administrator in 1953. Fr. Philip S. Bonto was the only priest Bishop Holland ordained in 1949.
During Bishop Holland’s tenure of office, a Secondary School for boys named after Bishop Augustine Herman was opened in January 1952 at Kpando headed by Rev. Fr. Cornelius Priems, SMA.

The Era of Bishop Anthony Konings, SMA
Bishop Anthony Konings was born at Posterholt in Holland on May 3, 1910.  He was ordained priest in1935.  He arrived in the Gold Coast in 1935 and posted to Kpando, Hohoe and Jasikan in that order (1938 – 1944). In 1944, he was appointed General Manager of Catholic Schools in the lower Volta Vicariate.  He was Pro-Vicar from 1947 – 1950.  When the Vicariate became Keta Diocese in 1950 he consequently became the Vicar General and was appointed Apostolic Administrator of Keta Diocese in 1953 when Bishop Holland resigned because of ill-health.  Very Rev. Anthony Konings was appointed Bishop of Keta Diocese on 27th February, 1954 and was consecrated Bishop in Posterholt his home town in Holland on May 1st 1954 and returned to the Diocese in the same year.
On 1st February, 1954 Our Lady of Apostles (O.L.A.) Secondary School for girls was opened at Keta.  Sr. Theodora Fahy, OLA, was the first Headmistress. In January 1956, the school was moved to her permanent site at Ho.  The student population for the 2005/2006 was 950.
In 1955, Anfoega, Saints Peter & Paul Parish was opened.  Fr. Theodore Maessen is the first pastor. They were all established by the initiative and zealous apostolate of lay people.
In 1957, Keta Diocese was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary at the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes at Kpando Agbenoxoe.

Shia and Vakpo parishes were opened with a resident priest in each of the parishes.  In 1958, The Government of Ghana took over all Church Schools in the Volta region.  But the schools were returned to the Churches in the same year after strong protest.
St. Paul’s Secondary School for boys was opened at Hatsukope, Viepe Aflao near Denu in 1958.  Fr. Caffery was the first Headmaster.
The Holy Rosary Church, Gbi – Hohoe was officially started with a Holy Mass by Rev. Fr. Rudolph Zijstra, SMA on 12th June, 1958.  It was Mrs. Alice Tsaku and Mr. Anselmus Amedzi who initiated the idea of having a church at Hohoe (Ahado).  It is now a fully grown parish with 1st cycle schools, and socio-economic developments: A bakery and confectionary for the youth, a credit union, a welfare association and ten church associations and sodalities.
On 20th December 1959, Anfoega Catholic Hospital was founded. The pioneer staff consisted of Sister Gras and Sister Huisman.  Dr. Bouwers-Bavinck joined them later.  In 1963, Maria Dekkers popularly known as Sr. “Ria” came to continue the good work and developed the hospital which now has 105 beds distributed in three wards.
Kpando Catholic Hospital was founded on February 2, 1960.  It was staffed by a Team of Grail Movement led by the First Medical Officer, Dr. Margaret Marquart in whose honour the Hospital has been renamed: The Margaret Marquart Catholic Hospital.   The Grail Movement established a Catechetical Social Center, popularly known as the Grail Center in Kpando next to the Hospital.
St. Anthony’s Hospital, Dzodze was founded in1960 with the initiative of Fr. Leo Brouwer the beloved Parish Priest with communal labour provided by the people.
St. Mary’s Minor Seminary was founded at Lolobi on 29th September, 1961 headed by Fr. William Van Frankenhuijesen, SMA. St. Mary’s Seminary Secondary School for boys opened admission to non-seminarians and students of all denominations right from the very beginning of its foundation.
St. Theresa’s Teacher Training College for training lady – teachers was opened at Hohoe in September, 1961 headed by Ms Catherine Bagley, an Australian member of the Grail Movement.

In 1963, a Catholic Hospital was opened at Dodi – Papase by Fr. Harry Smith and in 1971, St. Joseph’s Hospital run by OLA Sisters was opened at Nkwanta (now in Jasikan Diocese).  It started as a Clinic and Maternity.
The Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church (SMMC) was founded by Bishop Anthony Konings in 1971 with the Novitiate at Dzelukope.  The formation was entrusted to O.L.A. Sisters on 6th of January 1971, Sisters Dolores Davis and Jane Frances Kenny started with seven novices.  The pioneers S.M.M.C. Sisters are Georgina Fuglo, Philomena Osibe and Arcade Eleeza.
Bishop Lodonu continued the founding process and brought it to maturity.  The formation house was moved to Sokode Gbogame, near Ho, in 1985.
In 1986, Bishop Lodonu appointed Sr. Georgina Fuglo as Superior General and Sr. Philomena Osibe became the First SMMC Sisters trained Novice Mistress.  At her first General Chapter, the SMMC Sisters elected Sr. Georgina Fuglo, Superior General.
In October 2000, Rome gave approval for the Canonical Erection of the SMMC Congregation.  Bishop Lodonu officially erected the SMMC Congregation as “an Institute of Diocesan Right” in Ho Diocese on 6th January, 2001 at the Sacred Heart Cathedral, Ho. 
At her second General Chapter in 2001, Sr. Cecilia Kudexa was elected Superior General. Currently, the Congregation has 69 Professed Sisters and 4 novices.  The SMMC Congregation is professional and faithful servants of the Church in Educational, Social and Health Institutions in the Dioceses of Ho, Keta – Akatsi, Jasikan.


SOME RELIGIOUS/LAY SOCITIES IN HO DIOCESE
 
THE SISTERS OF MARY, MOTHER OF THE CHURCH
(SMMC) HO DIOCESE
The Congregation of the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church was founded in 1971 by Bishop Anthony Konings, SMA of Holland, who was then the Bishop of Keta.
Bishop Konings’ main reasons for founding this Religious congregation were:
1. The need to provide the necessary facility for young women who want to dedicate their life more fully to God.
2. And secondly, in 1970’s it was obvious that the missionary era was coming to a close as the number of missionary vocations declined.  In order to continue the work of the European Sisters in the areas of Education, Social Works and Health (Medical) Services, a Congregation of African Sisters was necessary to carry on that part of the Mission of the Church.
The Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church, which was then referred to by Bishop Konings as the “Sisters of Keta” was founded to continue with the Missionary activities in the Local Church in the areas of Education, social and Medical (Health) Services in the spirit of full dedication to God.
THE BEGINNING
To implement this noble idea, Bishop Konings invited the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Apostles, OLA to start the foundation at Dzelukope.  And so on the 6th of January, 1971, Sr. Dolores Davis OLA and Sr. Jane Frances Kenny, OLA began their foundation work with seven (7) young women.  Out of these seven young women, three (3) determined religious women are present today as a strong bond of Pioneers for the Congregation.
In 1973, very early in the history of the Congregation the Founder Bishop Konings had to go back home for good due to ill health.  Bishop Francis Lodonu, who was already an auxiliary Bishop at the Founding of the Congregation, took over the care and nurturing of the Congregation from that early stage and guided it to full maturity.  Sisters were sent to schools for further studies, both inside and outside the country.

GROWTH AND CONTINUATION
The Congregation began to grow steadily as new members came to join year after year.  In order to provide space and opportunity for future growth and expansion, Bishop Francis Lodonu acquired a piece of land at Sokode Gbogame for the Congregation.  And so, in 1985, the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church formation house moved from Dzelukope to Sokode Gbogame in the Ho District.
Having given their best for 15 years, the OLA sisters, represented by Sr. Patricia McMenamin, OLA, with total faith and trust in God’s providence, handed the Congregation over to the indigenous Sisters, of Mary Mother of the Church.
In 1986, Bishop Lodonu appointed Sr. Georgina Fuglo, SMMC as the Superior General of the Congregation.  Sr. Philothea Osibe, SMMC became the first trained Novice Mistress of the Congregation.
1995, the Congregation had its first General Chapter at Sokode, Madonna House Community.  Sr. Georgina Fuglo, SMMC was elected the Superior General.  In October 2000, Rome gave the approval for the Canonical Erection of the Congregation.  On 6th of January 2001, Most Rev. Francis Lodonu, the Father of the Congregation officially erected the Congregation as an Institute of Diocesan Right in the Ho Diocese.  This colourful ceremony took place in the Sacred Heart Cathedral, Ho.
The second General Chapter took place in 2001 and Sr. Cecilia Clare Kudexa was elected the Superior General.  The current Superior General is Sr. Georgina Irene Akoto.
The congregation currently boasts of 86 professed sisters, four (4) novices and (3) postulants, with a good number of aspiring young women.

FULFILLING OUR MISSION
As a congregation founded to carry out Missionary works in our own Local Church, our sisters serve the people of God in the following Educational, social and Health Institutions in the three Diocese of the Volta Region and one time in the Sunyani Diocese:


1. St. Anne’s School   - Kete-Krachi  - Jasikan
2. St. Luke’s Clinic   - Chinderi  - Jasikan
3. Immaculata House    - Jasikan  - Jasikan
4. St. Agatha’s College  - Hohoe  - Ho Diocese
5.  *  Mater Ecclesiae Prep. (MEPS) - Hohoe  - Ho Diocese
6. St. Theresa’s Demons. Sch.  - Hohoe  - Ho Diocese
7. Margaret Marquart Hospital - Kpando  - Ho Diocese
8. Margaret Marquart Canteen - Kpando  - Ho Diocese
9. C.Y.O Vocational School  - Sovie   - Ho Diocese
10. * Mater Ecclesiae Prep. Sch.  - Sokode  - Ho Diocese
11. *   Mater Ecclesiae Clinic (MEC) - Sokode  - Ho Diocese
12. *  Mater Ecclesiae Sewing Ind.  - Sokode  - Ho Diocese
13. * Mater Ecclesiae Physically Challenged Center Sokode  - Ho Diocese
14. * Mater Ecclesiae Bakery (MEB) - Sokode  - Ho Diocese
15. Catholic Secretariat  - Ho   - Ho Diocese
16. Bishop Konings Center  - Ho  - Ho Diocese
17. OLA Secondary School  - Ho  - Ho Diocese
18. Volta Regional Hospital  - Ho   - Ho Diocese
19 Assisikope Bishop’s House - Ho  - Ho Diocese
20. St. Anthony’s Hospital   - Dzodze - Keta-Akatsi
21. Sacred Heart Hospital   - Abor  - Keta-Akatsi
22. Catholic Secretariat  - Akatsi - Keta-Akatsi
23. Bishop’s House    - Akatsi - Keta-Akatsi
24. * Mater Ecclesiae Sewing Ind.  - Dzelukope - Keta-Akatsi
25. Keta R.C. Schools   - Dzelukope - Keta-Akatsi
26. OLA boarding House  - Keta  - Keta-Akatsi

27. In addition to the above, Sisters work in the administration of the Congregation itself, as Secretaries / typists and Financial Administrators.

* The Mater Ecclesiae institutions have been established and managed by the sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church in the service of the church.

COME AND SEE:
We, the Sisters of Mary Mother of the church are a joyful group of consecrated women dedicated to the service of God in the church.  We live the three Evangelical Counsels of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience in Community.
Following the example of Mary, our Mother and Model, and Mother of the church, we are ready and available to render joyful service to the people of God in simplicity and in charity.  We do these as well trained professionals in various Educational, Social and Health Institutions in the dioceses.
Young Catholic Women who feel to dedicate their lives more fully to God, who are willing to find their fulfillment in life by putting their gifts of nature and grace at the service of God, are invited to join us.  Come and see where the Lord lives and stay with him in joy and peace.
For more information about us:
Contact:
The Vocation Directress, the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the church
P. O. Box 394, Ho, V/R, Ghana        Tel. 233 – 093620 – 28908.
Ave Maria mater ecclesiae!!!


THE COMBONI MISSIONARIES
The Comboni Missionaries, also known as Verona Fathers arrived in the Keta Diocese in 1974. 
The Dictator, Idi Amin arrived in Uganda few years before 1974 and began to harass foreigners including Missionaries.  The Comboni Missionaries were many in Uganda.  They have accepted to go few years before 1974 as their Mission field.
One of them then came to ask the Bishop to extend their Missionary service to Keta Diocese.  After some consultations, two Missionaries were sent in 1974.  The pioneers were Rev. Fr. Cuniberto Zeziola and Guiseppe Rabbiosi.  They were given the Abor Mission as their first station.
They were soon followed by Rev. Father Angelo Confalonieri and Eugenio Petrogali.  These Missionaries who chose to work only in the southern part of the diocese brought a complete transformation to the Diocese of Keta soon to be known as Keta – Ho Diocese.
We have tried to bring them to the middle of the Keta – Ho Diocese with much difficulty.
In 1997, Bishop Lodonu wrote to their Superior General in Rome to send some to the Liati Mission.  They agreed and by 1978, two Missionaries arrived in Liati amidst Jubilation and Celebration.  We all believe that these priests will give Liati a face – lift as they began doing in the Abor Parish.  The two who arrived were Rev. Fathers Giuseppe Rabbiosi and Eugenio Petrogali.
Later on, we heard that they came by a happy fault “Felix Culpa”.  The Generalate went to a meeting on my letter of petition and the meeting rejected my petition.  But the Secretary got the message that they agreed to accept the Liati Mission.
He therefore wrote to me and I was so happy that I wrote to thank the Superior who asked to see the letter sent to me.  He saw that he signed the letter to me and so there was nothing they could do.  The two Priests had to be sent to us in Liati in the present Ho Diocese. 
Later on we had Rev. Frs. Jose Maria Jane Coca, Luigi Capelli, Mario Merino, Lino Negrato, Antonio Carlos Villarino Rodriguez and others.  In the few years of their stay, they built a Vocational School, a Clinic and expanded the Mission House, and fencing the whole compound.
The last one of the priests was the late Fr. Joaquin Martinez Glez who built the Golokwati Parish House and a beautiful Church with Mexican Architecture.
Although they felt Liati some time ago, their work remained a great landmark for us in the Ho Diocese.
May God bless all and give eternal rest to those who have passed into eternity. 

BRIEF HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF MADONNA HOUSE APOSTOLATE IN HO DIOCESE.
At the invitation of Bishop Francis Lodonu, Madonna House Ho opened on June 25th 1990. Madonna House Apostolate is an Ecclesial Community composed of consecrated laymen, lay women and priests, bound together by a common commitment to create a community / family of love.  We take as our model the Holy Family of Nazareth, living in simplicity a hidden life. As members of Madonna House, we consecrate ourselves through promises of poverty chastity and obedience.
Bishop Lodonu has called us to be a house of prayer evangelizing through means of service, friendship and simple hospitality.  We serve as a center for the formation of the laity, in that we welcome anyone, 18 years or older, who wishes to participate in our family life for a given length of time, for the specific purpose of being formed by the Gospel, as connected to daily life.  We provide places for people to come and pray in solitude for a period of 6, 12 or 24 hours, which we call ‘poustinia’ (a Russian word meaning ‘desert’).
Poustinia is a place for fasting, scripture and intercessory prayer.  A recent development is that some priests, religious and laity are coming for a time of retreat, under the direction of a Madonna House priest.
We also offer an Associate program for diocesan clergy who are interested in embracing our Madonna House spirituality, living it out as Associate members within their home dioceses.
Associate members: Most Rev. F.A.K. Lodonu, Rev. Frs. Walter Agbetoh, Francis Azah, Patrick Allalah and Rev. Frs. Of blessed memory: Andrew Dzeble and Richard Adofoli.  Other Associate members are: Rev. Msgr. Joseph Kpeglo (of blessed memory) and Fr. John Odzangba all of Keta – Akatsi Diocese.


FOYER DE CHARITE, CHRIST THE KING
ALAVANYO ABEHENEASE
On 21st March 1995, through the initiative of Bishop Lodonu and the hard work of the Foyer Father, Gregory Daniels-Akata and by God’s grace a center for Religious community life, spirituality and retreat was founded.  It was temporarily located in Bishop Herman College, Kpando while the permanent site at Alavanyo was being prepared.  Father Gregory himself tells us that Foyer de Charite is all about:
Marthe Robin 1902 – 1981
Origin: The Foyers began in France in 1936 with the grace-filled sufferings of Marthe Robin who lived over half a century on Holy Communion alone!
The Foyer de Charite are communities of baptized persons, men and women, who following the example of the first Christians, put into common all that they own, spiritual, intellectual and material, and in the same spirit, live together their Christian commitment, under the motherhood of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and try to realize the family of God here on earth. 
This is lived under the direction of a Priest, the Father, in an unceasing effort to live a life of fraternal charity among themselves, and also by their lifestyle of prayer and work in the world, be witnesses of Light, of Charity and of Love according to the teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ: King, Prophet and Priest. 
The Foyers of Charity give authentic Christian and Marian devotion, all of which lead souls to inner conversion and thus open them to their true and real commitment or apostolate in life in the world.
Our primary apostolate as at now is the preaching of retreats and recollections, all in total silence for a period of five full days or two full days in the case of recollections, in each case, a token fee is demanded of you during your stay as a retreatant following a Foyer de Charite retreat or for any retreat preached by the Foyer Father upon request as well as personal spiritual programmes not being directly organized or preached by the Foyer. 
We appeal to the generous contributions of those who are able to pay more than the stipulated sum to do this.  Donations in cash and in kind are all appreciated.

Secondary Apostolate: The Foyers have a secondary apostolate in the form of social: the building of a school, a clinic or a hospital or otherwise all subject to the type of vocations that come to join us live this lifestyle and also the need of the area where we are settled.
The Lord is still calling generous souls like you to give your life in the service of God and of Humanity.  We invite applications from especially young women aged 18 and above to come and have a foretaste of this Consecrated Lay Lifestyle. 
It is highly recommended that interested vocations come for a retreat first, and then we could arrange for a possible stay with us in the Foyer Family.  For such persons, a retreat for the Foyer Community and its aspirants is usually scheduled for August each year.  Please contact the Foyer for further information.
Vocation: Persons who are interested in this Lay consecrated Lifestyle may write directly to:  Msgr. Gregory DANIELS-AKATA, Foyer de Charite, Alavanyo – Abehenease, P. O. Box 213, Hohoe Tel (03620 – 91256)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
020 – 8129775 / 020 – 8162862 / 020 – 8162863 / 0244221094 Hohoe. 

THE REDEMTORIST FATHERS IN HO DIOCESE
At the end of the 1990’s the Superior General Fr. Lasso de la Vega, persistently invited the Redemptorist Provinces to open missions in Africa, regarding it as an historic moment for the future of the continent.
The Province of Bogota (Colombia) welcomed this invitation and began a process to emphasize our missionary calling and develop an interest in Africa.  Fr. Noel Londono, the General Consultor visited various countries and several Dioceses in Ghana to find an appropriate location.  A provincial Chapter analyzed this information and approved a foundation in the Diocese of Ho in the Volta Region. 
Our Redemptorist mission was established in Ghana in 1994.  The first group was composed of Fr. Luis Enrique Tamayo Superior of the mission, Crisostomo Ramirez and Jose Fernando Delgado.  After a period of studying the English language in England they reached Ghana on September the 3rd in 1994.  Our mission has had different episodes and also difficulties.
First Stage:
The establishment of the mission took a long time.  It was not easy because of many hardships especially health and language problems.
Our former Superior General, Fr. Lasso de la Vega along with Fr. Luis Enrique Tamayo and the Vicar general of the Diocese Msgr. Richard Affrim chose for our initial work a typical rural parish of the Diocese; Alavanyo.
On September the 15th in 1995 Fr. Luis Enrique Tamayo died of severe malaria in Korlebu Teaching Hospital, Accra. He was 57.
For about 8 years we stayed in Alavanyo.  We didn’t work in a pastoral project of our own, but only undertook the care of the parish which was given to the Diocese in February 2003.
Second Stage:
In the second stage our province decided to give full support to the mission and try to plant the Congregation in Ghana. Then the community decided to build up its own residence in Sokode Etoe, close to Ho.  The house was built, thanks to the collaboration of Baltimore Province (US) and the Generalate.  It was in 2003.  From that time on we are following two objectives and working on them:  Formation Process and Pastoral Project.
Formation Process:
Formation and promotion of vocation is the priority of the mission.  Presently there are three postulants studying philosophy in Ejisu near Kumasi, in a seminary run by the Spiritans.
We have two postulants. The aspirants live in our community at Sokode.  By September of the year 2007 we shall start the Novitiate.
CHRIST THE KING PARISH, MAWULI ESTATE, HO
The Diocese has given us a former mass center in Ho where a little catholic community has been growing.  It is a community currently with about two hundred people.  The name of the place (future parish) is “Christ the King”, located in Mawuli Estate.  The Eucharist is celebrated in the parish chapel on Sundays and every day during the week.  Fr. Guillermo Giraldo was appointed as pastor of Christ the King.
There is clarity about our pastoral goal, which is to establish a regular parish in Mawuli Estate.
Plans include the construction of a church and other institutions, such as a parochial school and social center.
We plan to form a lay mission team that would establish local communities.  For this purpose we would like to build a mission center on a part of the church land in which the lay missionaries could be formed and the missionaries could live.
We take this opportunity to thank Bishop Lodonu for the welcome given to the Redemptorists into the Diocese and to express our sincere desire of working together and in communion with the church for the extension of the Kingdom of Our Lord Jesus Christ.  May the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Mother of Perpetual Help, intercede for the mission’s success.

SERVITIUM DEI
SERVITIUM DEI- meaning service of God is a Lay Religious Institute founded in Holland.  The aim of Ms. Louise C. Dorge, a Dutch national, a philanthropist and agent of integral development is to translate into action the objectives and charism of her Religious Institute.  Servitium Dei the Service of God by bringing Good news to the poor, the needy and the physically challenged.
Ms. Dorge arrived in Ghana over 50 years ago working in the Archdiocese of Cape Coast.  In 1973 with the initiative of the Queen Mother of the CYO, Sr. Gabriel Addolorata of the “Little Servants of the Sacred Heart” (Menton Sisters) Ms. Dorge and Ms. Miek Stevens, a Servitium Dei member, now the Director of Vocational Training Schools in Keta-Akatsi Diocese together set up a Model Vocational Training center at Weme near Abor.
In 1993, Ms. Dorge set up the Center of her apostolate of integral development at Ve-Golokwati and establish “DODZI” cooperatives Plantation Project, a Community Based Initiative for income generation and upliftment of the poor especially women.  The numerous socio-economic projects include: Micro – credit for four groups of rice, corn, yam and vegetable farmers.  Twenty-five acres each at Ve-Kolenu J.S.S. and Ve – Deme and 10acres at Ve – Golokwati all under Oil Palm plantation; 5 acre pawpaw plantation at Gbefi, 27 acres of Mango Plantation at Teikrom.
Food Processing Projects:  Cassava – Grater, Corn mill, Palm Nut Cracking machine, Bakery and Dry bin Blower for Golokwati.  Bakery at Ve-Gbodome and Hohoe. She also helped the women at Hohoe for soap making and mushroom growing.  Liati, Logba, Golokwati and Akoefe got Pig stays.  Oil making facilities and nut crackers are established for the people at Gbefi, Logba and Golokwati.
Outboard Engine Boat, nets and traps for groups at Wusuta, Kpeve, Dzemeni, Torkor, Agbenoxoe and a fish pond at Golokwati.  More than 15 Kindergartens, Primary and J.S.S. are built in the catchment area.  Five hundred physically disadvantaged children were helped with funds for schooling and for surgery.
Twenty – five acres of land are planted with trees (woodlots) and another 25 acres for Tick tree plantation.  One cannot catch up with the numerous development and capacity building projects being done by Ms. Dorge.  The Aflabo bridge and the imposing Water Reservoir at Ve-Golokwati are concrete monumental signs of more than 60 projects and development activities of Louise Dorge of Servitium Dei.
THE NOBLE ORDER OF THE KNIGHTS OF MARSHALL
IN THE HO DIOCESE
The Noble Order of the Knights of Marshall, a Catholic Friendly Society, was established on November 18, 1926 when the first Council of the Order was consecrated at Sekondi, the Headquarters of the Order, with an instrument of Charter granted and signed by the Rt. Rev. Ernest Hauger, Vicar Apostolic of the then Gold Coast, who gave formal ecclesiastical approval to the constitution and Laws of the Order on May, 1, 1929.
The Noble Order which has the objective of bringing together Catholic men for effective lay apostolate and Catholic action, is a fraternal organization along the lines of the Knights of Columbus in the United States of America.  The Founders, thirteen (13) enthusiastic young men of St Paul’s Catholic Church, Sekondi, sought to provide a friendly social forum for Catholic men who might otherwise be attracted to secret societies. 
The Founders chose to name the Noble Order after Sir James Marshall a lay Catholic Scotsman who served as Chief Magistrate and Judicial Assessor at Cape Coast, and through whose instrumentality Rev. Frs. Auguste Moreau and Eugene Murat of the S.M.A. were sent to continue the process of establishing the Catholic Church in the Gold Coast in 1880.  This was to immortalize his name.
The first branch of the Order to be opened in the Volta Region was Council No. 4 at Keta in 1937, followed by Council No. 6 at Kpando in 1942.  By 1979 six other Councils had been opened in the Volta Region, namely No. 20 at Ho, No. 22 at Jasikan, No. 32 at Dzodze, No. 35 at Hohoe, No. 38 at Kete-Krachi and No. 39 at Denu.  In 1984 the eight Councils separated from those in Togo and formed the Volta Regional Council which functioned until 1990 when two Regional Councils were created in the Volta Region, namely South Volta Regional Council, comprising Keta, Ho, Dzodze, Denu and No. 61 Akatsi (opened in 1991), and North Volta Regional Council, comprising Kpando, Jasikan, Hohoe, Kete-Krachi and No. 82 Nkonya (opened in 2004).
The Noble Order in keeping with its motto of Unity, Charity and Fraternity, undertakes charitable activities in various forms.  There are various study courses and formation programmes which are undertaken in the Order for the formation of members as worthy Catholic knights, and by which members graduate through the ranks.
THE KNIGHTS OF ST. JOHN INTERNATIONAL
THE Knights of St. John International originated from the Ancient and Noble Order of the Knights of St. John founded in 1048 A.D.  These gallant merchants from the city of Amalfi founded a hospital in Jerusalem to take care of pilgrims who visited the Holy Land.  This hospital was erected near the place where our Lord Jesus Christ fell for the second time on his way to Calvary, carrying the salvific cross.
The Hospital was under the patronage of St. John the Baptist, the man chosen by God to prepare the way for the coming of the Saviour, Jesus Christ.  The merchants constituted themselves into the Order of the Knights of St. John Hospitalers whose first leader was Master Gerald.  They cared for the wounded pilgrims, the sick and the needy.
MODERN KNIGHTHOOD
On 6th May, 1886, a number of Catholic Gentlemen in the United States of America met and established a new society out of local organizations formed in various cities like Rochester NY, Baltimore MD, Washington DC, Cincinnati YN, and Columbus OH of the United States of America.  The new society was incorporated through an act under the Laws of the states of New York with the name “ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH UNION OF KNIGHTS OF ST. JOHN”.  The name was later changed to “KNIGHTS OF ST. JOHN” and later in July, 1992, the name was again changed to the “THE KNIGHTS OF ST. JOHN INTERNATIONAL”.  This was done to avoid conflict with the medieval now based in Rome and also in furtherance of the international character of the society.

KNIGHTS OF ST. JOHN INTERNATIONAL IN HO DIOCESE
In 1940, a group of Catholic Gentlemen from St. John the Baptist Commandery No. 346, Saltpond in the Central Region Ghana introduced the Ancient and Noble Order of the Knights of St. John International to St. Michael Church of Keta.  On 20th October, 1944, a charter was issued from the supreme President (New York) for St. Michael Commandery 352 to operate.  On 16th April, 1949, the Commandery was inaugurated with the initiation into the first Degree of the Order, of the first batch of twenty eight gentlemen.

 
ST. AUGUSTINE COMMANDERY NO. 374 AUXILIARY
NO. 326 HOHOE
On 27th August, 1963, Bishop Konings of Keta Diocese inaugurated the Order in Hohoe.  St. Michael Commandery, Keta introduced the Order at Hohoe St. Augustine Church. The pioneering Gentlemen of the Order at St. Augustine included Rev. Fr. John Beckers spiritual Director Noble Brother Anthony Akabua Tsigbe, President, Noble Bro. Anthony Gbekle, 1st Vice President, Noble brother Q. Kafe, Recording Secretary, Bro. Emmanuel Akondo Allalah, Treasurer, Bro. Emmanuel Amenyawu, Financial Secretary, Bro. Michael Senoo Messenger.
The ladies Auxiliary 326 was subsequently founded on 29th August, 1964 with initiation of twenty four sisters with the help of St. Michael Auxiliary Keta.  The Pioneering members included Late Sisters Constantia Senoo 1st President Justine Adjah 1st Vice President Sister Theresa Senoo as Secretary.  The Presidents who led the Auxiliary were Sister Constantia Senoo, Justine Adjah, Lucy Adotey, Doris Akoto-Ampaw Agatha Hevi, Sabina Ahorklui, Julia Amewu, Kate Jaisey, Rose Ayitey, Grace Senoo, Theresa Asigbetse, Alexina Tsriku.


THE HISTORY OF ST. ANTHONY’S GUILD IN THE DIOCESE OF HO
The St. Anthony’s Guild in the Ho Diocese dates as early as the 1940s when the early Missionaries, worked in the former Keta Diocese.  The prayer Book “St. Anthony’s Treasury which was either given or sold to the literate few who worked with them and the statues the Missionaries left at the various stations encouraged private devotions to the Saint and inspired the formation and devotion to the saint.
Those private devotees were interested in the miracles of the saint and later spread the devotion among others.
In 1943 Col P.K.D. Habada, the immediate past National President and others at Keta started the J unior group of the Guild.
In the early fifties and sixties through to the seventies devotion spread to most churches in the Diocese by those who experienced the Saint’s prompt intercession to prayer for quick results.
In 1962, devotion to the Saint spread to Kpando and its surrounding towns and villages by Messrs Donkor Boniface and Tambo Christopher (both deceased).

It was the same in the St. Augustine Church, Gbi Central Hohoe with the late Bro. Linus Kudzi and Alfred Soglo firmly behind its success.  Bro. Kudzi Linus became a member of the National council of the Guild in Ghana.
Devotion to St. Anthony entered Kete – Krachi in the Northern Volta in 1970 from Dodi Amanfrom by Bro. Agbodamenu, a head teacher.
It later reached Ho-Bankoe but faded away.  However, Mr. & Mrs. P. D. T. Hondjoh arrived from Dodi Papase in 1974 to revive it; now using the Ewe language.  Eighty adults firmly supported its formation and Mr.  & Mrs. Simon Kangah, James Kukah, Bro. Emmanuel Gakpe and Togbi Akordor to mention just a few worked for its success.  The Ho Bankoe Guild still stands as the seat for the Diocesan Guild.
In 1972, the Guild reached Hlefi (from Anfoeta Chebi) where the early Missionaries had earlier left a beautiful gaint statue of St. Anthony.
Between 1972 and 1987, the Guild spread to most towns and villages like Taviefe Aviefe and Deme, Frankadua, Anfoega Dzana, Kpando Agbenoxoe, Ve – Golokwati, Botoku, Vakpo, Shia, Kpetoe, Likpe, Lolobi, Liati, Ho Dome, Holy Rosary Hohoe to mention just a few.
The Ho Diocesan Spiritual Directors now are Rev. Frs. Clemence Ashaira and Anthony Dotsey, who are very dynamic Priests working to spread the Guild.
Our energetic Bishop Most Rev. Francis Anani Lodonu, Bishop of Ho Diocese is firmly behind our success.
We thank him for his special interest in the Guild. May St. Anthony intercede for the growth of the Guild in the Diocese to the Greater Glory of God.

 

BISHOP’S GBEVIVI MUSIC CULTURAL TROUPE
The Gbevivi (sweet melody) Group was founded by Most Rev. Francis A. K. Lodonu, Bishop of Ho Diocese on 18th September 1998 after the Bishop returned from his trip to Europe including Germany.  He came back with the idea that a cultural troupe must be formed for the youth as a channel in their education and also to portray the culture of the ewe people in the Volta Region in Ghana and more so to enhance the inculturation of the Catholic Liturgy.
In fact, the Bishop’s vision in forming the group is to help in the education of the youth to break out of their entangled poverty and to promote and champion the cause of child education especially the girl child where they are being suppressed.  The Bishop wants to give a meaning to life to the youth, to help them to know and love their culture better, to love their country and work for it, live in it and develop it, to love their churches and so come to know God better.
The instructors who train the Gbevivi Group are distinguished experts in music, performing arts, choreography and liturgy.  The instructors are: Mr. Pius Penni, Fr. Jesse Amedzi, the late Godwin Feye and Sr. Peace Omega as the liturgical artists.  Mr. Martin Amlor, Mr. Francis Amoakutefe and Miss Rose Mansah also taught the group at the initial stage.

The Gbevivi Group is well known and famous for its singing, drumming and dancing at historic, social and liturgical celebrations in Ghana and abroad.  The influential person and promoter of the group is Frau Angela Schmalstieg from Duderstadt in Germany.

Bu June 1999, the group was ready for their maiden trip to Germany to perform at various places including Schools, Parishes and the Kirchentag at Stuttgard.  It was a very successful six weeks trip.
 The group was invited again to the EXPO2000 in Hannover as well as to perform in various places all over Germany from Bremen through Berlin all the way down to the Bavaria region. 
In 2001 the group has been invited to the Kirchentag in Frankfurt and also to perform in many Parishes both Catholic and Evangelical, and to perform in many schools from Kindergarten level to the Gymnasium level.  The troupe also had the privilege to participate and to perform at the World Youth Day in Cologne, Germany from 16 – 21 august 2005.


THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS (DEPSOCOM)

INTRODUCTION
Like many other departments the establishment of Social Communications as a department was not easy. In 1970, social communications was added to the assignments of Fr. Wynnand Amewowo, viz, Religious Education, Youth and Laity formation.  The office was at that time equipped with a mobile cinema – video van.
Bishop A.K. Lodonu through thick and thin established the Department for Social Communication. In 1981 Bishop Lodonu appointed his Secretary, Rev. Fr. Gabriel Akwasi Mante (Now the Bishop of Jasikan) to coordinate Communication activities in the Diocese.
Fr. Gabriel A. A. Mante introduced Mr. Noah Agble to the communication work which gradually grew into a DEPSOCOM with Mr. Noah Agble as a full time director from 1983 – 1998.  On Noah’s departure, Fr. Francis Homatekpor took over the communication office and Mr. Raphael Kwami Adevor backed by professional experience in communication skills took over the department until Sr. Rejoice E.A. Sedegah came back from studies in 2004.
Currently, the Department is under the Directorship of Rev. Fr. Dieu-Donne Kofi Davor.

MISSION / VISION:
The Department was instituted to promote the Gospel Values through the effective and efficient use of Alternative, Secular and Religious Media for New Evangelization and Better Communication.  The vision of Ho DEPSOCOM is to integrate the Evangelization with the Development of the Human Person and the Society and to promote the growth of the Church through the means of Pastoral and Social Communications.


OBJECTIVES:
The objectives of DEPSOCOM in Ho Diocese include: Help people progress as they journey through life.  “Such progress is of vital concern to the Kingdom of God, in so far as it can contribute to the better ordering of human society.”
I. To evangelize, educate, inform and inspire the faithful through the use of all the available modern Social Communications Media and Alternative Media.
II. To co-ordinate and network with other Departments in the Diocese and in the  Church as a whole
III. To encourage the Church and the Institutions to use the Alternative, Secular and Religious Media for evangelization.
IV. To promote the church and her activities through the Alternative, Secular and  Religious Media
V. To organize Communication training for Priests, Religious, Catechists and other  lay faithful
VI. To arrange Workshop for confraternities and other religious Bodies
VII. To do our best to reach out to all sort of people in life through dissemination of information, news, views and activities of the Church.
VIII. To work to promote peace in the Diocese and beyond

 CONCLUSION:
By the grace of God we are able to achieve the greater part of the above objectives and in addition working for peace in the conflict zones in the Volta Region.  Today we also broadcast the Diocesan activities in the Media; television, radio, newspapers and the use social media platforms. We are grateful to God for our achievements so far.

HISTORY AND OPERATIONS OF THE HO DIOCESAN DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
The Development Office, which is now headed by Rev. Fr. Terence Edwin Adzimah was established in December 1978, the department of Socio-Economic Development also popularly known as Ho Diocesan Development Wing or Arm through which the Ho Diocese has tremendously promoted self-help initiatives of the rural and urban poor, primarily to empower the poor and to harness their potentials to improve their living conditions.
The operations of the Ho Diocesan Development Office is guided by the principle of “integral” development of the human person and committed to the values of Justice and Peace and Solidarity.
Prior to the establishment of the Diocesan Development Office, individuals, mainly the expatriate Clergy and Religious serving in the diocese had made separate efforts in building Schools, Churches while contributing to Health, Water and Sanitation as well but without any centralized medium of coordination.  To promote a concerted and coordinated system of operation in human development gave birth to the Development Office.
The focus of the development process in the diocese continued to widen according to the need of the times and also the available resources and the level of the existing capacity at the office to confront such needs.  Thus preliminary areas such as enhancing capacity at subsistence Agriculture, Micro Finance, Provision of Good Drinking Water in Communities mainly Boreholes were systematically promoted.
Similarly, Basic Education and provision of Vocational training for the Youth in terms of employable skills featured in many communities.  Thus what can be termed as pastoral projects and socio-economic building and programmes were promoted.  Already at its inception, building the baseline for self-reliance was very paramount. 
The contributions of Rev. Fr. Sylvester Mawusi, the first development Coordinator effectively collaborated with Rev. Fr. Tony Byrne in promoting this collective consciousness of “self-reliant Church” among the Clergy and the Religious and the Laity in Parishes through intensive development education workshops and seminars organized at various institutions and parishes throughout the diocese, funded by Caritas Internationalis, Rome.  The first working vehicle “Toyota Pick-up, was granted the Development Office in 1979 by Misereor, Germany.

The Universal Catholic Church’s stand and in particular, the Ho Diocese’s stand ties  in all categories of responses in serving the victims of poverty which takes concrete expression in development initiatives we now operate as our priority.
a. Development Education with emphasis on awareness creation and non – formal education.
b. Agriculture with emphasis on production, conservation and sustenance in  respect of joy of work and reward other than only food for the farmer.
c. Income generating activities with emphasis placed on sustained investment by the rural poor and awareness of income generating opportunities for women in particular.
d. Gender (women) and Development Programmes: specifically, capacity building and creating gender awareness, preventive health, education on justice for women and environmental activities, literacy programmes that meet the needs of women, strengthening Vocational Institutions that provide skills  training for girls and women. Catholic Women programmes similarly promote the above activities with religious and spiritual focus on Catholic women in particular.
e. Environment and Biodiversity Conservation, emphasizing integration of environmental concerns into productive activities of the rural poor.  It is aimed at reducing degradation due to deforestation, water pollution, bush burning etc.
f. Community water Development and Sanitation, seeks to improve access to safe drinking water to reduce illness caused by water – related diseases, spare women and children the time and energy used to walk long distances in search of drinking water. More so, promoting practice or personal hygiene and ensuring provision of toilet facilities in schools and colleges and in communities.
g. Peace Building initiatives- the office seeks to promote peaceful co-existence between and among communities through conflict transformation and meditation strategies. Practically, development thrives well in peaceful environment.  The Peace Building efforts will embrace establishment of Peace Center with trained personnel which will cater for conflicts in Volta Region and beyond.  A good and result oriented entry point is currently the Alavanyo – Nkonya conflict.
h. HIV/ AIDS Programme which emphasizes abstinence and fidelity in relationships, while promoting simultaneously preventive education to the populace, ensuring Counseling and care giving and providing food assistance to People Living with the HIV / AIDS disease and orphans of the deceased patients.
i. Basic Education (Infrastructure Development): Preoccupation in this area includes facilitating provision of school buildings and toilet facilities for Nursery and Kindergarten schools, Primary and Junior High Schools irrespective of creed, soliciting funds for equipment such as furniture and learning and instructional materials.
j. Vocational Training Programmes:  the office seeks to equip the Youth with employable skills for sustainable livelihood, provide a Catholic environment for acquiring life-long learning skills, instill in the youth, skills and values for responsible citizenship; improve relevance and quality of vocational training to the needs of the labour market, strengthening Career Guidance and Counselling Services to trainees, strengthen their studies in Vocational and Technical Institutes while improving networking and advocacy as well as providing adequate physical structure to facilitate learning and teaching.
Establishing linkage among Catholic Vocational and Technical training Centers by the diocese has recently led to the adoption of the Technical and vocational education and Training policy for the Catholic Church in Ghana.

OTHER EXIGENCIES
1. Emergency relief where people have an urgent and pressing need for help following natural or  man – made disasters, only short-term direct execution of relief work in situations where no organization is well equipped to deal with emergencies to alleviate sufferings.
2. Emergency preparedness with emphasis on updating skills and knowledge on information related to historical sequence of disasters, crucial situations such as water supplies, food security etc.  Early warning or monitoring systems to assist prediction of either long – term problems such as food shortages, or short – term problems such as flood, bush fires etc.

3. Pastoral Projects such as provision and maintenance of churches, religious houses, residential units for priest, pastoral and conference centers for social and spiritual programmes.

EXISTING STRUCTURES AND LINKAGES:
Development Structures for the promotion and facilitation of development initiatives are defined as follows:
At Diocesan level, the Department of Socio-Economic Development known generally as Development Office exists to give active expression to the Christian obligation of responding to the human needs of the people by coordinating and facilitating the development initiatives of other local structures. 
Our policy directions are informed by diocesan Curia headed by the Bishop and his close collaborators such as College of Consultors, the Senate (Presbyteral Council) while Diocesan Development Committee serves as an Advisory body on development issues to the Local Ordinary (Bishop)
Programme Focal Persons (as being tested in the deaneries / parishes) are to be key focal persons in promoting development work and especially helping in programme or project implementations and adequate monitoring and evaluation.
The Diocesan Development Office facilitates and coordinates activities of the following departments related to it namely:
• Diocesan Health Administration
• Youth Department
• Vocational Training Programme
• Gender and Development Programme
• Catholic Women Programme
• Faith and Culture
• Social Communications and
• Catechetics

BRIEF HISTORY OF CATHOLIC WOMEN ASSOCIATION – HO DIOCESE
Background
The formation of the Catholic Women Association in the then Keta – Ho Diocese, now Ho Diocese began with the arrival of a team of German Grail Sisters in the 1960s.  This was the period of the establishment of the Catholic Hospital in Kpando.
The team led by Dr. Margaret Marquart realized the inability of women to participate effectively in church activities.  Due to this, the team quickly mobilized a core group of active women in the church, namely Mrs. Juliana Grayham, Mrs. Theresa Kpatakpa and Mrs. Juliana Adza Mrs. Doris Akoto-Ampaw, Mrs. Rose Buckner, Mrs. Ida Foemadi and others to assist them to help the women develop their talents and potentials through capacity building.
The women were trained in various income generating activities such as pastry, bread baking, powder and pomade making, bead work and soap making, crocheting, needle and craft etc. to increase income levels and to reduce poverty among women. 
They were also taught good home management, child care / development, health and sanitation food and nutrition etc., to improve social life of women as well as their family.  Most importantly was the literacy programme that enabled the women to read the Bible in the local language to deepen their faith and also keep simple records.  The core group of women became the founding members of the Association.
Rev. Fr. Wynnand Amewowo helped in the spiritual formation of the women.  The first meeting was held in Anfoega where major decisions were taken and the spread of the Association in the parishes throughout the then diocese of Keta –Ho with Mrs. Juliana Grayham as the first Diocesan President.
The Catholic Women Association became an Organized Women’s Group in the church in the 1980s when the first Ghanaian Bishop, Most Rev. F.A.K. Lodonu called for the unification of all fragmented women groups under the umbrella of the Catholic Women Association for a common goal for the promotion of a spiritual, social and economic development of women. 
The Association has a full time desk officer and field organizer Madam Dora Alipui who animates, mobilizes and coordinates the activities of women in the church.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

FOCUS:
The association focuses on the integral development of women and organizes: spiritual, social and economic activities periodically to achieve its objectives.
 Spiritual activities include: retreats, seminars, pilgrimages, fasting and prayer, novenas and charity etc.  Periodic visits to major and minor seminaries with gifts and donations
 Social programmes are: education and awareness creation, animation, training/workshops, excursions, conferences, panel discussions, etc.
 Economic activities include: skill acquisition workshops in business management and entrepreneurial skills development, food processing to enhance job opportunities for increased productivity and increased income.
Groups / individuals are engaged in various economic activities such as:  Vegetable cultivation, crop and animal farming, corn milling, food processing, beads work, snail farming etc. to reduce poverty.  Some of the women have been supported financially to expand their businesses.
 Achievements: Generally, the spiritual and economic lives of women have improved.  Some women now know their legal rights and responsibilities and are able to channel their issues for redress.
CHALLENGES
Some of the challenges are high illiteracy rate among women, teenage pregnancy, school dropouts, low self-esteem and heavy responsibilities.  There is therefore the need for a united front to fight the challenges that prevent women from achieving their fullest dignity.
CONCLUSION:
We wish to thank the almighty God for the Association, our Bishop Most Rev. F. A. K. Lodonu for his total support, spiritually, socially and economically.  To the clergy and the religious we are grateful for supporting us in various capacities.  To all women and the lay faithful we thank you for your cooperation.

THE C.Y.O. VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER, SOVIE (NOW C.Y.O TECHNICAL/VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE)
The Center was established through the instrumentality of the Most Rev. Francis A. K. Lodonu in 1982 with initial enrolment of 30 boys and 22 girls.  Ms. Louise C.H Dorge was the Director who did the groundwork of getting the center built by mobilizing funds from CEBEMO and Misereor.
 She was joined by Ms. Miek Stevens and Japanese Volunteers: Takani Toru Urata and others to run and supervise the center.  In 1989, two sisters of Mary Mother of the Church (SMMC): Srs. Dorothy Eddico and Cecilia Afari joined the team.  Ms Dorge and her team later handed over the directorate of the center to the SMMC sisters in 1990.
The courses offered are: Business, Dressmaking, Catering, Block Work and Concreting, Carpentry and Joinery, Batik / Tie & Dye,
Certification: WASSCE, NVTI Grades I & II and City & Guilds Intermediate.
The current student population is about 200.
In 2003 Manos Unidas granted financial assistance for the construction of a set of five unit classroom.
In 2004, Misereor assisted the center with funds for the construction of the first permanent hostel for girls at the center; permanent workshops for Carpentry & Joinery, building & Construction and Dressmaking and Batik workshops thus making the center one of the most modern center with the best equipment among the Catholic Vocational / Technical Institutions in the country.
Rev. Fr. Moses Ameveanku is the chaplain, teacher and counselor of the center.
Mr. Pius A. Wuabu was the general supporter and a great benefactor of the C.Y.O Vocational Training Center right from the beginning.

 


GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT OFFICE OF THE HO DIOCESAN SECRETARIAT
Women and Development (Gender and Development) Office of the Ho Diocese was established in1982, primarily to address concerns in Gender and Development issues.  The office focuses on targeted clients that include all women irrespective of tribe, religion or social status; however it has special option for the poor and the marginalized.  It includes women in the church and the community to ensure that their capacity is built for integral development.
The Diocesan Coordination of Gender and Development work entails:
1. Awareness creation, animation and mobilization
2. Education and Training
3. Employment creation and income generation.
Strategic focus has been: Agriculture, Alternative livelihood activities, Community development, Job   creation, Micro credit support, Human resource development, Human right education, Gender issues. HIV/AIDS, Water and sanitation, environmental management.
Direct activities in recent times are:  Leadership training, Gender awareness, strategic Planning Provision of processing equipment, Training in agronomics practices for farmers, Employable skills training and entrepreneurship development.
The impact is that,
 Women’s image is enhanced
 Women are empowered to improve their socio-economic life
 Women are more involved in decision making
 Women contribute immensely to the development of the church community in which they live.


HO DIOCESAN CENTER FOR FAITH AND CULTURE

In 1980, Bishop Lodonu, then Bishop of Keta-Ho formed a 15 member commission headed by Rev. Fr. Jacob Hevi to study and research into cultural beliefs and practices vis-a-vis the Catholic Christian faith.
The first Act of the Commission was a seminar (8th – 11th October 1982) attended by 58 participants: including a cross – section of clergy and religious, chiefs, queen mothers, catechists and teachers.  The theme was: “Dialogue between our Christian Catholic Faith and our Cultural Heritage”.
In the year 2000, Bishop Lodonu revived the Commission consisting of 16 members with Rev. Fr. Francis Amuh as the director.  The center has started a museum by collecting materials: old liturgical vestments, sacred vessels and artifacts and Ewe books.
The center has made a number of studies into widowhood rites, out-dooring of a baby, burial, twin-cult, traditional marriage etc.


RIJNBEEK CATHOLIC SCHOOL COMPLEX, HAVE
In 2003, Bishop Francis A.K. Lodonu converted the youth Organizational Training Center at Have in Vakpo Parish into a co-educational boarding school. The school is headed by Rev. Fr. Prosper Kwaku.
The Rijnbeek Junior secondary School (JSS) offers integral quality education and character formation.  Since its first BECE exams, the graduates have been passing with excellent that enable them gain admission into the best Senior High Schools in the Country.


BISHOP HOLLAND AND MEMORIAL PASTORAL, FORMATION
AND RETREAT CENTRE, SOKODE GBOGAME
This center was established in mid – 1990s by Bishop Lodonu.  It has 48 self – contained rooms and more facilities are being constructed.  The aim of the center is multi-purpose:

- Retreat center
- Moral and Applied Theological Education and formation of catechists and laity.
- Distance learning center
- Research into culture and faith
- On-going formation of priests and religious
- A corner of the center has been developed into a cemetery for priests.

 

 

 

Latest News And Events

Bishop Fianu Photos

Contact us

Bishop’s House
Post: Box HP 380, Ho (V.R.)
Tel. Office (03620) 28006, Res. 03620-28852,
Fax: 03620-27720, Mob. 0543130413
 
Vicar General: Rev. Fr. William Horlu,
Post: Box HP 350, Ho, V/R
Tel. 03620-27762
Mob. 0549544747
Email: willyhorlu57@gmail.com